Never thought he could survive (Warning, image may be disturbing)

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Found this bifas stripped to bone in the morning and thought that he wouldn't survive for 24 hours. I placed him in a hospital tank and he made it the next day, then 48 hours, and a week later he started to eat. He survived! He is a young fish so do you think he has a chance to grow back skin and flesh to cover the bone. If he is permanently disfigured, I may consider euthanizing him.

IMG_4043.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think it'll heal and regenerate a considerable amount. I'd let it live.

Reminds me of a bukowski poem. The history of a tough mother @#$/&er

I'd post the link but I don't want to violate site rules.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Fish have amazing healing capabilities given clean water but in not sure his fin will regrow. He skin and scales likely will if you can keep it from getting infected but what did that to him? Very odd looking injury like something was just eating him and he wasnt doing anything to fight it off? Could be a sign of underlying illness if thats the case

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
....what in the everliving hell did that to him?!
The wounds seem consistent, like brich said, with something taking bites and him not defending himself...

Salt, salt, and way more salt is all I'm going to say lol.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This little guy is a survivor, he's got good, strong genes. Don't euthanizes it just because its disfigured/scarred. Let it breed to pass on those strong genes.

Give him some Melafix to help him heal that wound

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I just placed him in clean water, with no salt or any disinfectants. I didn't expect him to live beyond 24 hours as I had fish died with less injury. The exposed flesh looks like white fillet on a dinner plate. It's been 2 weeks and he shows no sign of infection. He is handicapped from swimming normally, but is otherwise active and eats eargerly. Initial injury has skin and loose flesh hanging on which fell off in a few days exposing the white fillet. It's amazing this little guy survived.

IMG_4036.jpg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I did not see the attack, but suspect a 9" melanuras did it. The injured bifas is 4", and was raised in a 75 gal with the melanuras among other smaller fish. The melanuras is very docile, and shows no aggression towards any fish. But if the melanuras decides to attack someone, he is big and powerful and won't take much to do serious injury to a small fish in a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store