Tank size

Hitsurfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2014
Denmark
I wonder what is the absolute minimum tank size for at SINGLE Channa asiatica or Channa bleheri?

It seems the opinions are very conflicting - some people say 86 litres (70x35x35 cm.) and others believe that I need a 160 litres (100x40x40 cm.) for a single snakehead.

What do you guys think?:)

Brucki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Hi,

for a single bleheri the smaller tank is big enough.
For a single asiatica the bigger is ok.
But why keeping single fish. its just boring and ypou wont see any of the natural behaviour. SIngle fish get shy or on the other hand become naughty begging fish that drive crazy like Guppies when you stand in front of the tank.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I Answered the other post, but i agree smaller one would be 'ok' for a SOLO bleheri but the larger would be better.

You might get away with the 160l for a solo asiatica but once full grown an asiatica would be very crapmed in that tank.

Hitsurfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2014
Denmark
Thank you guys.
Nice to hear different opinions on this one.
I think I will go for a tank with bleheri. And maybe a little group of them. What is the problem with a single snakehead? Do they tend to get more aggressive?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Nothing wrong at all with keeping a solo snakehead. In groups you end up with a pair, in pairs I find one always ends up dominate bold and personable while the other hides more. Solo you'll end up with a very bold personable fish because its automatically the dominate fish by default.

Hope that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store