Extremely worried about new white sturgeon

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I doubt it's pH cuz majority of the fish we buy have to adjust to new pH's when we get them but also these guys are supposed to be extremely hardy especially since they venture all the time from fw to sw. My pH is also right at 7 which is pretty much the safe zone for almost all fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I actually did a lot of research before I got it. I bought it straight from the breeder and he answered all my questions as well.
And what did the breeder state about size of tank, temperature, pH values, etc? Do you know the actual species, or did the breeder just refer to it as a "white sturgeon"? You are asking for help about a fish when no one here even knows for sure what you have? Let's start with the species of sturgeon, not a common name.

That aside, personally I think that keeping any sturgeon in a 29 gallon tank during a heat wave is just asking for trouble, as that small of a tank is going to get warmer, a lot quicker, and overall be a lot more unstable than a larger tank. Sorry, but this isn't sounding to me like you did a lot of research.

Use ice cubes, frozen pop bottles filled with water, run fans across the surface of the water, insulate the tank, do cool water changes, etc. 74F is still too warm.

Perhaps you should discuss some of this with the breeder.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The main questions I asked him were about water temp. I explained to him about the heat wave and that the tanks were all around 80 without a heater right now. He said that 80 is really warm for them right now but as long as their is plenty of O2, the warm temps won't hurt them as much as everyone thinks they would. It's keeping them in warm temps for long periods of time, over 6 months, is when they start to become affected by it. He did ask what size pond it was going in because his breeders range around 15-17ft and I told him that it was actually going in a 135g aquarium and once it outgrew it, I was putting it in my gf's parents 40ft koi pond they have in their backyard. He was happy to hear that. We then went off about the sturgeons we normally see in our lfs and he said that those ones usually die cuz they're just too small. Any sturgeon smaller than 6" is extremely sensitive and any change can kill them but bigger ones are tanks pretty much and are extremely hard to kill. I never asked exactly what species it was cuz I was unaware that there was more than 1 species called the white sturgeon. There wasn't much info about keeping them in aquariums, just fishing for them. I will give him a call later today and find out exactly what species it is.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Agree with the bio cube being trouble. Especially since those things run hot in the summer with the lighting they have and being closed up.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Update: no clue what happened. Nothing has changed in the tank at all. Temp still stable at 74 but the sturgeon has all of a sudden gotten better. He started eating bloodworms and live blackworms but for some reason won't eat pellets now. I'm excited he's healthy again. Just confused about what caused it to suddenly get better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store