Just bought a 180 and it leaks..

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

The above tank was resealed over a year ago, it's in my living room.
You can see a small stress crack on the back 6ft panel, and a large crack on a side panel, both cracks were fixed using GE1 (caulking gun size tubes) and sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass. Repair cost for both cracks @$80.00

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I have resealed many many tanks over the years including a few 300 gallons and a 540 gallon that are still holding water great to this day... IMO it is well worth doing it!!!

If you are unsure of how to do it look on you tube there are a few good videos on there showing how... Just make sure you watch a few different videos because not all of them are good ones!!!! All I can tell you is once you are all done with it you will ask yourself what was I so afraid of? It really is super easy if you do it right!! Just do it you will be so glad you did!!!!!

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland

The above tank was resealed over a year ago, it's in my living room.
You can see a small stress crack on the back 6ft panel, and a large crack on a side panel, both cracks were fixed using GE1 (caulking gun size tubes) and sandwiched between 2 sheets of glass. Repair cost for both cracks @$80.00

Going to drain and dry the tank today then make a start on Tuesday. What is that fish in your first picture? Looks amazing!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Going to drain and dry the tank today then make a start on Tuesday. What is that fish in your first picture? Looks amazing!
Paratilapia polleni

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jvasquez9248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Laredo,TX
I've resealed some aquariums before, and one of them several times lol. One day I came across a 300 gallon aquarium on craigslist for $100.00, yes believe it lol. I went to go check it out, the guy that was selling it told me that it was leaking from one of the sides, the silicone seamed old and it needed to be replaced. We did a water test and sure enough it leaked. I decided not to buy it, the guy even offered me to take it for $50, I still said no since I had no clue on how to reseal and was new to the hobby. I regret that decision for the past few years. Some time after I picked up a 55 gallon that was leaking all over. It was free by the way. I was curious on how to reseal the aquarium, I watched several videos on YouTube and read some good info on this site. I gained confidence and decided to strip it out and reseal it. To my surprise it worked and was not as hard as I imagined. I was not leaking, but the seams were not perfect, so I decided to remove all silicone and re do it. I did it 3 times, not because it would leak, but because I decided to perfect my resealing skills in case I ever found another great deal on craigslist. Ive resealed some aquariums for friends, nothing large that 55 gallons, but now I am confident I can reseal any size aquarium. I would suggest to think positive and reseal it as soon as you feel confident, if you are not pleased or it leaks, try it again its not hard, perhaps time consuming but at least no irreversible damage is occurring to the aquarium. Hope it this helps, good luck.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Bummer about the rotten luck. I agree with hounding the guy.. I would be asking for half the money back at least. It might also help making some comment about how you're big into the local fish keeping scene and for him to pull something like that, if he doesn't honor your request you'll start his business's reputation out for him on the bad side.. whether true or not.

IMO- a little soft-spoken blackmail is perfectly warranted in a situation like that.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
i fixed my tank by siliconing the crack and siliconing another piece of glass tht fits to the crack.. i didnt remove the old silicone ... this is how it looks..
10689553_752717968097101_183117257905266479_n.jpg|
dont mind the fish.. the fixed crack is just below the fish and u can see the glass pane tht i silicone onto the crack :)

10689553_752717968097101_183117257905266479_n.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store