Calling all experts! Need help with florida cichla

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Thanks to all so far. Waiting for replies from Kelly gestring who is head biologist now for FWC since shafland is retired.. The current stance is only C. Ocellaris is in Florida while IGFA recognizes 2 species mono and ocel. Florida is now smashing records for monoculus because as we know they are mono/ocel.. Their stance is if it looks ocellaris well it's ocellaris and vise versa.. If it's unidentifiable as either it won't be considered for a record.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
From what I found, Cichla Ocellaris was stated to have been released into Florida's waters(I didn't find anything about Cichla Monoculus). However, without sequencing the fish it would be speculation. It wouldn't be crazy to assume that when these fish were released in the sixties (I'm not sure if that year correct) a confusion between the two juvenile species occurred. But there are a lot more variables to this than just a confusion, like: point of collection of the introduced fish, size of the introduced fish, where in Florida they introduced first etc.

Among Cichla, introgression isn't uncommon so it would also be safe to assume if there were two separate species through the decades they may have hybridized.

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
What seems more plausible is the collection point were outside of ocellaris range like Peru. All fish were raised and bred together to create the release stock.. Now it's just proving it

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
They've got traits of both mono and ocell. The mutts I have had and currently own most likely came from Florida and I can say half turn out more mono like and the other more ocell. Just depends on what traits that fish wants to show.

I think Ryan hit the nail on the head

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Thanks Ryan. What we know so far is A. All imported stock were supposed to be ocellaris but, fish were collected outside the Guyana shield so it is safe to say the imported fingerlings were mono from those countries. B. Fish released weren't the imports but F1 offspring of the imports that were mixed together at the research center in boca raton.. Releases were done between 1984-86 in 4 different canals in homestead and Miami.. Temensis were also released in 1984(approx.3,000)but the last reported catch of a temensis is Florida was 1991

CichlaRyan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Land of sun
I never knew Cichla Temensis was introduced, that's really interesting. Just read this article about the Cichla introduced to Florida. Here is a short direct transcript:

The history of peacock bass in Florida dates back over half a century. Biologists tried planting these fish in Florida in ponds in the 1960s, but the fish soon died. In 1973 Texas tried stocking the fish in power plant lakes, but they died when the plants were closed for repairs and the water temperatures dropped too low.
Florida fishery biologist Paul Shafland was still convinced the gamefish might be able to make it in the southern part of that state. "Peacocks need water that does not drop below 60 degrees," he said.
One spot he was aware of where that need could be met was in the canals of urban Broward and Dade counties. Protected from cold fronts by trees and houses, they also cut into the Biscayne Aquifer, providing further warming. Making the setup even more appealing was the fact that a small exotic fish — the tilapia — was overrunning the canals. There was a biological need for a large finned predator to control it.
And one fish stood out that could solve that problem: the peacock bass.
Starting in October 1984, 20,000 peacock fingerlings from Brazil, Peru and Guyana were deposited in the 1,200 mile canal system. The rest is history. The peacocks thrived and are now successfully reproducing. And they offer spectacular angling for both locals and visiting lure, fly and bait fishermen.
Both butterfly and speckled peacocks live in the canals. Butterflies are the most prolific, but the speckled grow larger, according to Shafland, and offer better chances for a trophy.
According to this, the 1984 stocking contained multiple species that were introduced from Brazil, Peru and Guyana(safe to assume they were wild caught?). They were juveniles and 20,000~ of them were released. There has to be better documentation of this somewhere, there are still a lot of holes.

Very interesting topic though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store