Zero nitrite but high ammonia and nitrate

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol! Thanks, actually I keep a Red Severum along with a couple others and intended to boot those guys for the Discus!! But I couldn't do it! My Sev not only has been such an outstanding peacemaker, but beautiful also.So I'm doing what I tried hard not to do, set up another tank lol
:/

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I've heard mostly bad news as far as mixing sevs and discus. My severum don't really show aggression outside of breeding behavior, and food here and there, but at the same time discus are kinda wimpy. Probably not worth the risk, at least not beyond a carefully examined trial period.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Lol! Thanks, actually I keep a Red Severum along with a couple others and intended to boot those guys for the Discus!! But I couldn't do it! My Sev not only has been such an outstanding peacemaker, but beautiful also.So I'm doing what I tried hard not to do, set up another tank lol
:/
Don't put your discus in before it's been established. Im on week 5 of my cycle. One thing that I found was that bacteria in stability was only enough to support the ammonia source in the bottle. by dosing with more ammonia all it's doing now is dragging it out . as if you were cycling a tank with just ammonia.

my advice would be to just dose with Stability as it has the right amount of ammonia for its bacteria to fluorish and establish in one weeks time , the instructions on the bottle do not say to add ammonia. after 1 week of dosing. I would add a little bit of ammonia. Only enough to raise it by lets say .5-1 ppm. and every couple days increase by .5ppm until you get to 2 ppm.

If you add ammonia to stability , you might as well have not used stability at all . It will now take as long as the ammonia only cycle.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I've heard mostly bad news as far as mixing sevs and discus. My severum don't really show aggression outside of breeding behavior, and food here and there, but at the same time discus are kinda wimpy. Probably not worth the risk, at least not beyond a carefully examined trial period.

Lol, nooo not mixing them. I meant I was gonna get rid of my Sev for the Discus. I couldn't do that, so I'm adding a whole other set up :)

Don't put your discus in before it's been established. Im on week 5 of my cycle. One thing that I found was that bacteria in stability was only enough to support the ammonia source in the bottle. by dosing with more ammonia all it's doing now is dragging it out . as if you were cycling a tank with just ammonia.

my advice would be to just dose with Stability as it has the right amount of ammonia for its bacteria to fluorish and establish in one weeks time , the instructions on the bottle do not say to add ammonia. after 1 week of dosing. I would add a little bit of ammonia. Only enough to raise it by lets say .5-1 ppm. and every couple days increase by .5ppm until you get to 2 ppm.

If you add ammonia to stability , you might as well have not used stability at all . It will now take as long as the ammonia only cycle.
Thanks Podzy. Today Im buying the seachem products. I definitely will read the directions. What Ill probably do is follow them, add fish when I get them, and do lots of water changes.

Also, sorry for the hijack Devsev, I got carried away.

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
thats what im trying to figure out if nitrosomonas build up quicker than i should have higher nitrite and less ammonia? because ammonia should be quicker to be converted to nitrite than for nitrite to turn to nitrate

if i allow the tank to sit and just do weekly water changes eventualy it will be fully cycled, right?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ

I may be ill informed, but what makes the cycle less efficient by having more ammonia present? Unless having it present inhibits the production of bacteria I don't see what the difference would be in adding it day 1 or day 7. It likely wouldn't speed up the process and may slow it down a bit, but you would theoretically end up with a more efficient bio capacity. The directions say you can add fish a week after you've been dosing, so I can't imagine sticking to them makes for a strong argument.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store