Have You Bought a Snakehead & Later Thought You'd Get Another One? Did It Work?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Snakeheads are unpredictable. It's confirmed that Snakehead species do not mix.

But what about species of the same kind? I remember buying a pair of Emperor Snakehead babies and the one with a larger head constantly attacked the other until I lost both of them to jumping.

So they didn't get along even as babies and bought together. But I've seen pairs or groups of same species that work. Even when the other(s) was/were introduced later.

And that's my question today. Have you bought a single Snakehead, liked it so much that later you wanted to get another one or felt they would look gorgeous in a pair? Did it work out? Was the new snakehead accepted or attacked?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Won't work. Pairs need to form from a young group.

You'll have an Instant death match if you introduce it into the take the original fish is living in.

If you removed both fish to a new home it may cause enough stress to delay that a day or 2 but it'll end the same way .

Pairing (or group formation for the few species who tolerate such conditions) must be done before maturity for any chance of success.

Snakeheads are not in any way shape or form unpredictable lol. In fact they are one of the easiest fish to predict results with.

There is lots if misinformation out there mostly from people who count YouTube and google pictures as doing research. I've warned people many many times anyone can jam anything together and snap a pic or video but they rarely publicize the miserable failure that followed.

Hope that helps .

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada

You'll have an Instant death match if you introduce it into the take the original fish is living in.

If you removed both fish to a new home it may cause enough stress to delay that a day or 2 but it'll end the same way .

Pairing (or group formation for the few species who tolerate such conditions) must be done before maturity for any chance of success.

Snakeheads are not in any way shape or form unpredictable lol. In fact they are one of the easiest fish to predict results with.

There is lots if misinformation out there mostly from people who count YouTube and google pictures as doing research. I've warned people many many times anyone can jam anything together and snap a pic or video but they rarely publicize the miserable failure that followed.

Hope that helps .
Completely agree. Even when I try to put 2 individuals together, I will always take out the dominant one already in the tank and put in in a bucket or something for a day. This way when i reintroduce both into the tank, the dominant one already in there wont be nearly as territorial.

Also, how did you lose both to jumping? In my experience, channa only jump to that extreme when they are trying to get out of the tank. With lots of places to hide and a good deal of floating cover, my channa dont jump very much. Mostly when im feeding, but otherwise they dont care to smash their face against the glass or top. If you've got a bare tank with no cover, it wont be ideal for 1 fish, let alone trying to put 2 together

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth

Hope that helps .
I don't mean unpredictable in the sense that they cannot be known. But unpredictable in a ticking time bomb sense.

I do know some who have successfully done it, so far. From what I know there's a member here who introduced more Platinum Argus into his Platinum Argus pair. And also Channa Pleuros later on without any fight so far. And another member who kept Pleuro with Micropeltes for many years before it jumped out and died.

But I agree with you and that's the general rule to go by. My Emperor Snakehead just flared and attacked his own reflection. Yup that's all I need to know. Thank you for the response. :)

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
Completely agree. Even when I try to put 2 individuals together, I will always take out the dominant one already in the tank and put in in a bucket or something for a day. This way when i reintroduce both into the tank, the dominant one already in there wont be nearly as territorial.

Also, how did you lose both to jumping? In my experience, channa only jump to that extreme when they are trying to get out of the tank. With lots of places to hide and a good deal of floating cover, my channa dont jump very much. Mostly when im feeding, but otherwise they dont care to smash their face against the glass or top. If you've got a bare tank with no cover, it wont be ideal for 1 fish, let alone trying to put 2 together
This was many years ago. The grow out tank had an opening. One jumped out from being attacked by the other. And later it jumped too because the water flow was too much and it hated it.

Today none of my Channas jump whether or not the tank has a lid. It is all about them feeling secured in their home. If they want to hide they will just go for the cover rather than jump out. As long as they feel that the tank is their home they won't jump. So yes you are right. And no I am not into bare tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store