Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
............... I especially enjoyed the mental image of nurse Hickox's imaginary drowning. ...............
haha. yeah well, every once in a while I do tend to get all worked up about something ;-)
This country is really getting "dumbed down" when it comes to critical thinking skills.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I recorded from C-SPAN a meeting of The National Academy of Science in Washington DC. Not sure when this took place but gathered it was after the Ebola infections in Dallas and perhaps before the quarantine disputes of nurse Hickox.

I have cherry picked comments from two of the speakers and will paraphrase. The issue of Ebola incubation period was spoken about. First from Dr. James LeDuc associated with Galveston National Laboratory and University of Texas Medical Branch Director. Dr. LeDuc referred to the Oct 16 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine about the 21 day incubation period. He showed a chart that had a few people with initial symptoms showing up after 21 days. His comments were about it (Ebola) being biological and there being “occasional outliers” beyond the 21 days. He also mentioned the WHO does not consider an area Ebola free until after 42 days.

On the same subject from Dr. C.J. Peters of Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Disease Center and University of Texas Medical Branch Biodefense Director. On the 21 day incubation period he suggested the odds are that around 5% will exceed the 21 days. He seemed to be critical of the way this information is being disseminated. I believe he said that the incubation should not be considered 21 point 0 days.

I will not go into it in this post but took from Dr. Peters that some of the information (he called it dogma) we are being given has not been thru proper scientific trials.

The mixed messages and changing protocols , in my opinion, are part of what is behind the public outcry and hatred directed at Nurse Hickox and her beau. We see the protective gear being worn around Ebola patients and understand that an exposed person may not show symptoms for more than 21 days. Add to this that I do not know that there is yet a way to test for the virus before the incubation period is up. I understand there is a blood test but think it has to be repeated several times during the incubation period. The experts have their own way of looking at the "science" and I have a somewhat different point of view.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
..........................................................................................................................................................He showed a chart that had a few people with initial symptoms showing up after 21 days. His comments were about it (Ebola) being biological and there being “occasional outliers” beyond the 21 days. He also mentioned the WHO does not consider an area Ebola free until after 42 days.

On the same subject from Dr. C.J. Peters of Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Disease Center and University of Texas Medical Branch Biodefense Director. On the 21 day incubation period he suggested the odds are that around 5% will exceed the 21 days. He seemed to be critical of the way this information is being disseminated. I believe he said that the incubation should not be considered 21 point 0 days.

I will not go into it in this post but took from Dr. Peters that some of the information (he called it dogma) we are being given has not been thru proper scientific trials.

Yes I had seen data previously, that SOME cases take longer than 21 days to incubate & develop actual disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store