Oscars not eating

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
I justy chnged the water of my tank I have also changed my power head of the tank so I can have better filteration will be looking at adding stones soon which I found from my old tank many years ago will update u guys with the pics soon

Sent from my GT-I8552 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
I am soaking ny gravel in water for couple of hours before I put it in
Any advise if it's the right thing to do or should I just wash it and put in the tank

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'd invest in ammonia and nitrite test kits. They're like $5 a piece. Either that or bring your water sample to your LFS (local fish store) to see if your fish are poisoning themselves with their own waste. It takes about 4 weeks from initial setup for a tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria to prevent this phenomenon, known as "new tank syndrome".

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Adding decor and gravel will make the fish feel more at ease and will provide material for beneficial bacteria to grow. The water change was a good idea but you still need to know what is going on with it. I still recommend testing your water.

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
I'd invest in ammonia and nitrite test kits. They're like $5 a piece. Either that or bring your water sample to your LFS (local fish store) to see if your fish are poisoning themselves with their own waste. It takes about 4 weeks from initial setup for a tank to grow enough beneficial bacteria to prevent this phenomenon, known as "new tank syndrome".
Hi I ws looking fr a set but all I was able to get was a ph kit until now the shop keeper said he will let me know if there are any more test kits

winston.smith

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
ny
This test kit above covers the range of needs:
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/test-kits/api-fw-master-test-kit.html

I didnt notice what size tank they're in,, but 50% water change twice a week for a new tank, is too much. Is the water clouding up?

You probably should not do any wc's for two weeks, then start doing, 25-30% a week, after that.
It really depends on the bio-load, but for the tank to cycle properly you need a build-up of beneficial bacteria and that means letting the water sit a while.
A sponge filter can be good place to cultivate bacteria and just never rinse it under tap water. It really depends how much stuff you have in your tank. I put one in mine bc I took out all of the substrate.

Regarding their not eating. I would ask what they were eating wherever you got them.
Only put in small amounts of food daily until you see them eating. Then feed them whatever they can eat in about 2 minutes, once a day, is enough. Of course they can eat more but not necessary. Mixing up the diet is a good idea.

Try some frozen blood worms, or little pieces of fresh tilapia or shrimp.
Fish generally take time to acclimate to a new environment and can be very skittish, especially in a new well lit tank

Sometimes they reject food when offered, but once they see their preferred food is not coming, they will eat what you gave them, off the bottom of the tank, or wherever it settled, only you will no longer be watching by that point, perhaps/

I see this with my jags. The female will eat anything, the male will only eat (Xtreme Big Boy 3mm pellets), and blood worms. I can even drop a piece of tilapia in there and he ignores it. Just like he ignores larger pellets.. but once while I had them separated I noticed again, he refused the larger pellets when offered... but then ate them off the bottom of the tank some time afterward,, -as they were no longer there and he was alone. So they may be (probably are) eating some, even though you havent seen them eat.

Good luck!

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
This test kit above covers the range of needs:
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/test-kits/api-fw-master-test-kit.html

I didnt notice what size tank they're in,, but 50% water change twice a week for a new tank, is too much. Is the water clouding up?

You probably should not do any wc's for two weeks, then start doing, 25-30% a week, after that.
It really depends on the bio-load, but for the tank to cycle properly you need a build-up of beneficial bacteria and that means letting the water sit a while.
A sponge filter can be good place to cultivate bacteria and just never rinse it under tap water. It really depends how much stuff you have in your tank. I put one in mine bc I took out all of the substrate.

Regarding their not eating. I would ask what they were eating wherever you got them.
Only put in small amounts of food daily until you see them eating. Then feed them whatever they can eat in about 2 minutes, once a day, is enough. Of course they can eat more but not necessary. Mixing up the diet is a good idea.

Try some frozen blood worms, or little pieces of fresh tilapia or shrimp.
Fish generally take time to acclimate to a new environment and can be very skittish, especially in a new well lit tank

Sometimes they reject food when offered, but once they see their preferred food is not coming, they will eat what you gave them, off the bottom of the tank, or wherever it settled, only you will no longer be watching by that point, perhaps/

I see this with my jags. The female will eat anything, the male will only eat (Xtreme Big Boy 3mm pellets), and blood worms. I can even drop a piece of tilapia in there and he ignores it. Just like he ignores larger pellets.. but once while I had them separated I noticed again, he refused the larger pellets when offered... but then ate them off the bottom of the tank some time afterward,, -as they were no longer there and he was alone. So they may be (probably are) eating some, even though you havent seen them eat.

Good luck!
I have removed ny old cotton sponge filter out and added in this bio foam one hope it works
also I have added in gravel

Niks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2012
India
guys i have a small question can increasing of the temperature stimulate the oscars hunger?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store