drilling existing 1" hole to 1.5" hole

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I bought a diamond bit from Jehmco, because I figured in the end I'd be drilling all tanks, didn't skimp on price, and have drilled maybe 8+ tanks with it so far.
Has taken no more than 2 minutes for the thickest of holes on 100+ gal tanks, using a simple electric hand drill, and I drill the side with the tank standing in place.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
well i have drilled out tanks before but all the tanks i have drilled were all new holes so i used the plumbers putty to make a dam to hold water but the 1.5" hole i'm drilling out already have an existing 1" bulkhead hole there... the conventional way of making a dam doesn't work...

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
well i have drilled out tanks before but all the tanks i have drilled were all new holes so i used the plumbers putty to make a dam to hold water but the 1.5" hole i'm drilling out already have an existing 1" bulkhead hole there... the conventional way of making a dam doesn't work...
It won't work at the beginning so just pour water over the area constantly. Then once you start to cut into the glass water will be able to get into the little groove and will work the same way. Drilling 3/4" glass will take some time

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I've drilled my 500 many times. twice I enlarged a 3/4" bulk head hole to a 1.5" bulkhead hole on vertical glass. I had my wife hold a hose with a trickle of water flowing over the top of the bit. did them freehand, no jig, it went fast and is still working, no leaks. 3/4" is easier cause it's stronger. used a dewalt cordless drill on medium speed with the clutch set as low as it would go. I checked the bit every so often to see if it was getting hot. it never did with the water flowing over the bit, the glass stayed cool too.. I'd do it again in a heart beat if needed. I even drilled the top cross supports to put wavemakers through.
I drilled a lot of tanks and the only one I ever broke was a 20 and I had a jig and a good putty dam to hold the water...... probably was a little to cocky and went to fast???

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I've drilled my 500 many times. twice I enlarged a 3/4" bulk head hole to a 1.5" bulkhead hole on vertical glass. I had my wife hold a hose with a trickle of water flowing over the top of the bit. did them freehand, no jig, it went fast and is still working, no leaks. 3/4" is easier cause it's stronger. used a dewalt cordless drill on medium speed with the clutch set as low as it would go. I checked the bit every so often to see if it was getting hot. it never did with the water flowing over the bit, the glass stayed cool too.. I'd do it again in a heart beat if needed. I even drilled the top cross supports to put wavemakers through.
I drilled a lot of tanks and the only one I ever broke was a 20 and I had a jig and a good putty dam to hold the water...... probably was a little to cocky and went to fast???

So how thick of a glass was your 500?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store