Would you say this is a Trimac?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
She's dark because she's stressed from being plunked into a new environment.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Guess so, not sure if thats the case here in the uk. but the cichlid world is very odd at times, if you find a fish at the lfs that looks exactly like a severum no one disputes what it is same for many but if its a texas, midas, trimac, convict it seems unless you get it from rapps its automatically not a pure fish... fact is the store where I bought it aquired 4 from somewhere and I educate the staff of high school leavers all the time, you cant dispute rd that it looks exactly like a trimac.... are you saying its a throw back after cross breeding with something and if it were to be bred with a male trimac (which I never plan on doing with any intention of selling fry as trimac) it would likely have young looking nothing like trimac mixed in?
I hate the term low grade, its derogatory, maybe lfs flowerhorn would be better... like fish racism or sexism lol...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Good read in the thread rd, thanks. Wierd how the can be hybrids but look exactly like a trimac to the untrained eye...

Think my midevil/midas male is checking her out, guess I would have low grade faders then!-)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In the world of ZZ, it is low grade. That's just a simple fact. ZZ of that quality are sold every day by the millions, for $5-10. (or less) A quality ZZ can set you back hundreds. (or more)

if you find a fish at the lfs that looks exactly like a severum no one disputes what it is same for many but if its a texas, midas, trimac, convict it seems unless you get it from rapps its automatically not a pure fish...
You said in your initial comment that you didn't want to get into an RD/Midas debate, yet that's exactly what you are doing. lol This has nothing to do with Jeff Rapps, plenty of people keep & breed pure strains from various reputable sources.

The problem with many LFS sources is typically they sell fish by the name that's written on the suppliers list - the stores generally don't know where the fish came from, or their genetic background, nor do most care. The problem with red devils, midas, texas, trimac, etc, is that those particular species have been heavily hybridized over the years. It's a BIG problem for those of us who prefer to actually know what we are keeping, and not have to guess as to what the genetic make up of a fish is. This has been a massive problem with African cichlids for decades, and is now becoming almost as bad with many of the New World cichlids.

So the problem now is that if a store is selling juvie "Trimac", they may or may not be actual Trimac. But if that store is selling a fish as a flowerhorn, and it looks anything close to yours, you can be damn certain that it's a flowerhorn. If they were attempting to capitalize on someones ignorance, they would have marked that fish as a trimac, with a higher price tag than a low grade ZZ.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Trouble here is if you bought it as a FH it's a FH. You can't breed it as a Trimac, can't sell the fry as Trimacs, there is no liniage back to a collection point or documentation of any kind to determie it's linage or point of origin. So it's a flower horn. These types of FH have give Trimacs a bad rap in many cases. I will say this if it was tracable back to a collection point or true Trimac parents that would be considered a classic 3 spot female Trimac, unfortunatly that isn't the case. Just enjoy keeping her and don't worry too much about it.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Funny how you can take two visually identical fish and call one a common low-grade flowerhorn and the other a rare, hard to find trimac. Perception is a female dog.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Unless you have some kind of provenance that leads back to a collection location in the wild, you should always consider the fish to at least potentially be of mixed genes. That is the responsible thing to do if you are contemplating breeding the fish, and distributing their fry. It is for that reason why many serious breeders of cichlids attempt to start their lines with wild stock from a reputable source, such as Jeff Rapps.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I didn't invent the FH grading system for ZZ, or any other FH mix. In the world of FH these are simply low grade, low cost specimens. The perception here is based entirely on genetics. A FH keeper isn't interested in this fish due to the genetic drift landing closer to a trimac, and a CA fish keeper generally isn't interested in this type of fish due to it being of mixed genes.

Trouble here is if you bought it as a FH it's a FH.
Oddly enough no one said that in the $2 midas topic. It's a slippery slope, eh?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Well put people, afraid I know myself to well and ive been through all this before a few years back with midas lol....

Imo these types should be referred to as trimac mutts because low grade flowerhorn doesnt fit its apperance, or do it justice... I have a loose understanding of flowerhorns and wouldnt buy what I consider a low grade flowerhorn, on the other hand im not overly fussed if she is true as I like her, just nice to find out some background on this type of fish.

I think worrying about people selling cross breeds is past a point of no return by now, people know with midas at least unless you have a trusted origin then you cant be sure... easier to get mixed up with midas though, I assumed with the markings and colours a true trimac could easily be picked out of a line up, like say a true jag or dovii obviously not.

You got that right rkmblades!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store