PetSmart sold for 8.7 billion to BC Partners

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Now that PetSmart has been sold, I am curious how it will effect the fish department. I realize most of the business and money is petfood, I hope they still sell fish. Anyone know anything about London based BC Partners? Is it wishfull thinking that since a British based company purchased PetSmart, we will get better fish departments?

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Wow. I hope things will improve and maybe add saltwater. We will have to wait and see hopefully they will announce plans soon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wow. I hope things will improve and maybe add saltwater. We will have to wait and see hopefully they will announce plans soon.
I remember when Petco opened their first few stores here and they started with saltwater but did away with it shortly afterward.I know,different store but very similar and I'm not sure of their actual reason doing away with salt but it seems that those such places either can't find enough people who know how to deal with saltwater or just don't want the extra hassle.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I remember when Petco opened their first few stores here and they started with saltwater but did away with it shortly afterward.I know,different store but very similar and I'm not sure of their actual reason doing away with salt but it seems that those such places either can't find enough people who know how to deal with saltwater or just don't want the extra hassle.
Our Petcos here still have a salt section. I'm guessing whether they keep a salt section or not is purely on sales/profits.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah,that's the bottom line.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Yeah when I worked there you have to maintain sales.Each store has a rating for salt and fresh. some stores lost freshwater, some salt, one store lost goldfish and some lost the whole fish department.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
all my petcos have saltwater. petsmarts have recently been expaning in my area (westchester). petlands were real big in NY but are dying out because of the bigger stores. they still have individual tanks with bubble filters. petnosh used to be a cool store by me...sold to petco...then petgoods came out which was petnoshes original owners.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Went to my local petsmart here. Found out they are selling Electric blue acara there for $24.99. At my lfs about year ago where I bought my eba from for $40. Not bad for petsmart.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store