Florida guys - looking for some tips

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I'll be in Marco Island for a week in February for a much needed vacation. Looking to do more than a little fishing while I'm there. Saltwater and freshwater. Anyone from that area? There should be plenty of exotics around in the everglades I'm assuming. Most of the reports on MFK are for fishing the Miami area, not the southwest. Looking for a guide recommendation for a day of saltwater fishing (fly fishing preferred) and any tips on where to find exotics along the west coast in the everglades.

If anyone who lives in the area wants to swap a trip on the off-chance someone is coming to Oregon in the next year I'd swap a trip out in Florida for a trip out here for salmon, steelhead, or trout. Full day of whitewater rafting and fishing for some local Florida action?

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I've been to the everglades twice i caught a bunch of exotics such as peacock bass, spotted tilapia and Uros.....

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Bumping this back up. Trip is slowly approaching and I'm trying to start to iron out the regulations which are mildly confusing, as well as what gear I'm going to bring.

Newworld, were you using a cast net, dip net, or rod and reel? I'm looking into picking up a cast net to give a shot at some invasives in the Everglades and was wondering if you had any tips.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
In the everglades I used worms and lures and caught t. Mariae, Uros and peacocks bass with dip nets i caught various small stuff I still have the mollies and t. Mariae from last trip...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As newworld said, there are canals all along the highway a bit inland from Marco island driving south from Everglades City into the park. They are filled with everything from Oscars and Uros to Tilapia.
Here's some shots I took near Everglades City

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Thanks guys. I'm definitely packing some fly fishing rods along and I'll bring a lighter setup for freshwater. I think I'm going to buy a cast net, I've wanted one for a while and this is a good excuse to try one out.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys. I'm definitely packing some fly fishing rods along and I'll bring a lighter setup for freshwater. I think I'm going to buy a cast net, I've wanted one for a while and this is a good excuse to try one out.
I prefer dip nets over cast nets. If their legal get the 60" x60" one and you will be amazed at what you pull up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store