geophagus with angels

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I've seen a handful of tanks inhabiting geos with angels now.

Does it work fairly smooth, say in a 125 gallon?

Are angels hardier than I've heard throughout the years?

Which ones would be the best choice?

I already have geos.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I've haven't lost one. And there are clown loaches that have had ick 2x in this tank and I've raised temp to 88 and back to 79 both times.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I've haven't lost one. And there are clown loaches that have had ick 2x in this tank and I've raised temp to 88 and back to 79 both times.
wow loaches with ich that sucks, yeah no meds for them. I just lost a royal pleco during a high temp ich treatment, I said screw it and brought the temps back down and treated successfully with noxich. Do you have any threads of your tank pics?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
No. I can add some tomorrow from my comp. But this isn't the permanent home of the CL I just had to move them when a 4" bichir had One in its mouth. (It is alive and well) had 6 CL and all have survived both ick treatments of salt and high temp. Along with the angels and geos

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Angels are cichlids. They are sturdy and adaptable as long as they're not sickly or heavily inbred. I see a lot of crap quality angels in LFS but there are good ones out there.

Most geos will ignore them, although 'Geophagus' brasiliensis and some of the more aggressive types may harass them a bit. I've kept angels with orangeheads, G. parnaibae, G. winemilleri, and G. brachybranchus with no issues.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I agree with points above. Stick with the milder geos and a decent sized tank and no problem at all ime. Can't speak to all the possible variability of domestic angelfish strains, but I've had breeding geos and breeding wild angels in the same tank and the worst I've seen is the occasional face off and not much more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store