Pleco pooping

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
yea seriously they poop like 12 foot strands. i feel like they are always eating, well mine at least.
Yep the best part is when the long strands of poop have air bubbles in it and it floats around the tank. Usually happens on thanksgiving or Christmas when the whole family is over.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jtizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Austin, TX
I have tried the probiotics treatment to mitigate some of the poop with my L330 (7") and I want to say that it has helped but the tank still requires daily maintenance. I am grateful to my wife for getting me one of the eheim screen cleaner things so I can quickly clean some of it up without having to break out the python. Though with the amount of wood I have in the tank, I may be better off to simply use the python daily, the tannins in the water are terrible. I have some purigen and a bag, but haven't yet tried it.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I just recently gave my last pleco away. All it did was rasp wood leaving wood particals floating in the water colum clogging up the filters prematurly and crapped 12Ft poop ropes. Honestly why anyone would keep thies things is beyond me but some people love them. I'm done with them.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Just picked up my first fancy pleco l190. Thing poops more in a day then all my cichlids combined in a week lol

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've never heard of Plecos eating their own poop (or others).
He was being sarcastic................this is a misconception from new inexperience fish keepers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store