New tank ideas.

dassalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Philadelphia
Im buying an empty 84"x28"x28" tank custom tank with a stand and canopy. Im thinking I definately want a black background. Dont know what I want to use as substrate. I was thinking of siliconing river rock into the bottom like tile. Also bounced the idea of sand (black or tan) around. With one massive piece of driftwood. And some large round rock formation in one corner.

Any other ideas? Also looking for input about substrate.

Tank mates:
2 rays, one male orbignyi, one female Motoro.
Pbass
Arowana
Lungfish
Bichirs
Pike cichlids
A datnoids
And a couple rare catfish.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure why you want to silicone river rock to the bottom but how about using tile,minus silicone of course?....I'm all for a black background and Ive been thinking of getting a few cans of plasti dip from an auto parts store and giving it a try.I think it would be better than paint as it would peel off much easier if you had a need to do so.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Check out Lowes' tile section and you'll find river rock attached to a mesh in 1sq ft sizes. Go to a tile store if you like that idea and you'll find a fancier selection.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Thinking of it, may I suggest to thoroughly water and scrub the matrix that the rocks are glued on, I don't know if anything might leach out...

DeadFishParadise

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
Dead Zone
Tan sand or light color sand would look good. It will make everything looks more visible, since those rays are dark rays. Be careful with lung fish, for he will attack anything thats smaller than him.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Thinking of it, may I suggest to thoroughly water and scrub the matrix that the rocks are glued on, I don't know if anything might leach out...

Never saw this before, but a good alternative to keeping the rocks in place without permanently gluing them to your base. Good Idea. You could even use a light layer of sand to fill in the small gaps and blend it all in.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Soliston...u=100632890&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

dassalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Philadelphia
I plastidipped the background black. Im gonna go with tan sand. Still in the process of washing 300lbs of pool filter sand haha. Also I got a huge piece of driftwood from the creek I am currently soaking in a tub with aquarium salts haha. Also got some massive rocks. I think this will turn out great. Thanks everyone for the input I will update with pics of my progress.

uploadfromtaptalk1398463302135.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Haha you beat me to the plasti dip!...It looks great.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Did you brush or spray paint it on? What are the advantages over paint...does it come off easier if you decided to remove it? Thanks

dassalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Philadelphia
I like the idea of being able to peel it off if I don't like it. I sprayed it. 1 layer at a time. Looks great, would recommend it 100%

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store