Need help with cloudy tank

RoadRage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2013
NorthWest
Yeah I added some extra carbon to my filter, I literally spent my entire weekend trying to figure this out. I really hate putting unnecessary chemicals into my tanks but I'm pretty much at the end of my rope. In not new to fish keeping but I'm very new to live plants, I just bought a co2 system for my tank and haven't even gotten a chance to install it. Frustration is setting in

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
purigen helped me wonders. I also find that once carbon starts to go it will make the water foul faster than anything. I have had problems in the past with carbon and just got rid of it altogether and put a bag of purigen in the filter

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
It looks like you may have upset the biological cycle.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
That stuff (ADA super clear) is supposed to help with "growing" BB and for removing organic substances. It sounds like they think your cycle crashed. The pic looks like a bacterial bloom perhaps. And you were going to post params for the tank but don't see them.

You could have:

1) dead or decaying plants
2) excess food leading to bacterial growth
3) crashed cycle
4) excess phosphate
5) some combo of the above

if you have params that you just took (not before it looked like this) it might help rule stuff out.

Not having that, since you've done 2 50% WC recently with no dissipation, it appears to be something that is either in the tank and you haven't removed, or is regenerating after the WC. That would lead me to either 1), 2) or 3). Since you said the params (assuming ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are perfect, that rules out 3). So you may have a dead plant that is decaying or a bacterial bloom.

The latter is notorious for this behavior since the free floating bacteria can reproduce exponentially in conditions of high food (uneaten food or a dead fish.)

Did you vacuum the tank thoroughly in either of the WC you did?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Looks like bacterial bloom to me. Feed very minimally, the less the better, and wait it out with regular water changes. If parameters are fine no need to worry.

RoadRage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2013
NorthWest
I just finished my third wc in 3 days no change as of yet, what's the best way to deal with this bloom

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store