discoloration around face/gills

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Is this normal? My l91 had a white ish/light colored patch on the side of his face almost near the gills. It is still in qt from when I bought it and I have been changing out roughly 30% daily the whole time. The area isn't fuzzy or particularly sick looking otherwise, just discolored. I'm new to plecs, do they change their color/tone sometimes like cichlids can?

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
Discoloration, especially patches of lighter colors usually are not good signs. It can either be a sign of stress (extreme stress) or abrasion. What temperature do you have it at? Keep it at a higher temperature, like at least 82 to 85 and add some salt. When you do the daily water changes, make sure the new water is at the same temperature. Remove any uneaten food right away.

Oh, and keep the lights off. If it's in a bright room, use some cardboard around the tank to keep it darker.

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
My highfin Pleco's do something similar to this from day one and still to this day.

The normal coloration is a consistent dark brown leopard like pattern. All three (in three different tanks) can go from an uber consistent brown with the leopard pattern throughout the entire body, including the underbelly to an absolute two color (the dark brown and a much lighter cream colored brown still with the exact same leopard patters beneath. The can change back numerous times daily!

As Mrtoofay said it is most likely a stress related trigger that causes the color change. A weird thing that I have clearly noted is that in one case, the pleco attempting to "suck" on its tankmates is nearly 100% preceded by its trigger to the two tone molted phase.

All brown = calm and at piece with the tankmates
Molted Brown & Cream = Pleco going beast mode on tank mates!!!!!!!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
okay. i figured it might be stress. I've got some anubias in there and haven't been able to vaccum as much as i like, i'm going to move that out to another tank. I've been keeping the tank at 26 degrees celcius (78f, that's about what it said they want on planet catfish). ill keep my eye on it i guess, luckily there is only 2 l091s in there right now so at least it wont go beast on anyone right away. screeminleeman, when you noticed it was it just aggression by the plec or are they actually trying to eat the other tank mates? should i be feeding more?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store