You might not believe fish can be happy...

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
...until you've brought home a betta from one of this awful little glass bowls, and put him in a tank.

I talked my friend into getting one, and he put it in one of those little three gallon betta kits, the ones that come with dividers, but without installing the dividers into the tank.

The fish was like holy cow I can swim around now, this is freaking awesome:headbang2

Just felt like sharing. That's all.:D

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
nice, some shops here in the uk sell em from 1/2 pint sized glasses, sooo wrong!

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
So glad to hear your friend is giving him the whole 3g. It's definitely great to see them getting to swim about. Do you have any pics? :)

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
The only problem with bettas? They have a 2 year life span. Most people have them die within a year, and dont realize the fish was a a good number of months old when they bought it.
They average at 3 but I have heard of ones living 7-10 years. I think it depends on who you buy from and how you keep them and such though.
I really hope mine will get to at least 3. Like you say though most we get at the LFS are already 6 months to a year old. :(

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
The only problem with bettas? They have a 2 year life span. Most people have them die within a year, and dont realize the fish was a a good number of months old when they bought it.
My wifes betta lived for 4 years before developing a huge wart like tumor and lived with that for another year. She had it in one of the 2.5 gallon filtered tank. it was bought from the LFS nothing special except to her :).

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
So glad to hear your friend is giving him the whole 3g. It's definitely great to see them getting to swim about. Do you have any pics? :)

Ahh unfortunately no I dont have any pictures. But it was deep scarlet red with some electric blue flecking on the gill plate and near the anal fin. Quite the stunning animal. I can see you're a betta fan, haha.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
they are very cool... i have two, one comes to the glass when i tap it with my nail, knows its food time, the other flares at me everytime i walk past him in the kitchen!-)

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I have a couple female bettas in my 1700 that are around 4 years old. They certainly don't need a lot of room... they tend to stay in their comfy spot of around 2 square feet where there is a lot of surface cover. Very rarely I'll see them on a perimeter patrol, less than once a month.

I never seem them more than an inch from the surface either... even though they have 5ft to explore.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
I have a couple female bettas in my 1700 that are around 4 years old. They certainly don't need a lot of room... they tend to stay in their comfy spot of around 2 square feet where there is a lot of surface cover. Very rarely I'll see them on a perimeter patrol, less than once a month.

I never seem them more than an inch from the surface either... even though they have 5ft to explore.
I wonder if the males are more likely to explore/patrol? I would think so but have never had female bettas to compare them to. My male crowntail Discord, when I first got him, was temporarily in our 55g. He went all over..he used all of his 20 long as well. He is now in a 10g and in a different spot every time I look at him so I imagine males and females might differ here or it's just down to their personality? :) Or maybe they are scared of other fish in your tank? What else is in there? ;o

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store