High nitrates

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Studies in aquaculture have show nitrates above 20ppm cause stress in fish.
Most unpolluted waters have much lower nitrate concentrations, Lake Michigan averages less than 1ppm.
I try to keep mine in the 2-5ppm range.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
Come on everyone the solution is easy. More water changes and larger water changes. If you do 50 percent each week start doing water changes twice a week.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
That's not enjoying aquarium hobby but to me that's torture.. well do more water changes and add more bio media into setup.. add tons of pothos plants if possible. But becafeful of the open areas that the 2 aros can escape.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, torture is right for me currently, because I have to do 100% water changes every three days to treat some stubborn gill flukes in my tanks.. I just did my last treatment for total of five, so I'm good.. and it is working.. but then I still have to treat for camallanus worms later on too and do even more water changes, so heh, until that's over, I can finally enjoy some R&R and resume once or twice a week w/c. And I agree, need to do large water changes to remove them, filter cleaning, and pothos helps too.

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
Hey guys , for some reason my aquarium nitrate is pretty high around 40-80ppm , how can I fix it , I have a purigen in the filter also , will 20percent wc everyday work , won't that kill off the bb? I got fx5 and ehiem 2075 pro3 fx5 I have biohome and the ehiem I use the media that it came with , help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nitrazorb works really well and is re-chargeable...get 4-5 pouches and you will be amazed at the results.

I've used it for years and nothing works better.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Studies in aquaculture have show nitrates above 20ppm cause stress in fish.
Most unpolluted waters have much lower nitrate concentrations, Lake Michigan averages less than 1ppm.
I try to keep mine in the 2-5ppm range.
My tap water nitrates exceed your aquarium water so forgive but I'm doubting you claim if 2-5 ppm in a closed loop aquarium

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
My tap water nitrates exceed your aquarium water so forgive but I'm doubting you claim if 2-5 ppm in a closed loop aquarium
My tap water averages 5 ppm. And I live a 1,000 feet from gigantic farms.

I've seen reports from areas much lower than that. In the town I used to live in, the reports were less than 1 ppm (actually they were 0.35 ppm.)

And why would you doubt it anyway? If you don't over stock a tank, if you keep up with WC, if you don't over feed your tank and if you have things like pothos or purigen, it should be feasible to keep nitrates at very low levels. 2-5 ppm is certainly not out of the question. If you have tap water that starts out higher, you just have to make the adjustments to get it lower.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
My tap water averages 5 ppm. And I live a 1,000 feet from gigantic farms.

I've seen reports from areas much lower than that. In the town I used to live in, the reports were less than 1 ppm (actually they were 0.35 ppm.)

And why would you doubt it anyway? If you don't over stock a tank, if you keep up with WC, if you don't over feed your tank and if you have things like pothos or purigen, it should be feasible to keep nitrates at very low levels. 2-5 ppm is certainly not out of the question. If you have tap water that starts out higher, you just have to make the adjustments to get it lower.
if your tap water averages 5 ppm how would water changes reduce nitrates any lower , plus those test results are averages ? If your tap water is 1PPM nitrate how would a water change reduce levels below or near unless water change is 100%?as long as water is not changed out 100% (which most of us don't), nitrates will keep increasing as time goes by.

Water changes do not control nitrate, but only slows down the rate of increase.

"The EPA sets The maximum level for tap water , for nitrate is 10 mg/L or 10 ppm. EPA has set this level of protection based on the best available science to prevent potential health problems. EPA has set an enforceable regulation for nitrate, called a maximum contaminant level (MCL), at 10 mg/L or 10 ppm. MCLs are set as close to the health goals as possible, considering cost, benefits and the ability of public water systems to detect and remove contaminants using suitable treatment technologies. In this case, the MCL equals the MCLG, because analytical methods or treatment technology do not pose any limitation."

Per Seachems website "There are no products on the market that directly removes nitrate (or nitrite and ammonia). Purigen will prevent your nitrate levels from increasing any higher than they were before placing it in your tank (i.e. if your nitrates were at 10 ppm before you placed Purigen in the tank, once you place it in your tank it will not exceed 10 ppm from there on out). " ( as long as resin is not exhausted )

If you have a gravel bed in your tank, feed your fish , run canister filters , keep large fish , using tap water and your aquarium is a closed loop , nitrate levels under 10ppm are extremely unlikely between water changes in an established aquarium .. if your nitrate levels are under 100 ppm , dont stress , just enjoy the hobby.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because I worked until recently in a lab of a water purification plant, as a water chemist, I had access to fairly sophisticated equipment, and tested my water fairly regularly on the equipment for over 18 years.
Here is a page from my log book, of my 150 gal. I would grab a sample early morning and run the test at work, before clocking in. Some nitrate results are midway down the page on the right.

By the way, tests were run on a spectrophotometer, using standard reagents, DI water blanks and the sample.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store