540 build plumbing

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Started building my 540 for rays, discus and a silver aro. I'm planning the plumbing routes and am looking for opinions. Would I be beat just to run my standpipes center of the back wall and the returns along the sides? Looking to optimize water being turned over. Is there any layouts that you guys can suggest might work better? I was thinking of 2 2" overflows returned from a 35-4500 gph pump in a 2" broke to 2 1" piped then again into four 1/2" returns. What are some of your thoughts? Spraybar maybe? Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks guysimage.jpg

image.jpg

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
What about 2 spraybar returns running along wach side of the tank just below the water surface? Would get good flow and turn over. Also elminates dead spots in the tank

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I thought about twin 1" spray bars about 3-4' long. Do you think this would put in necessary stress on my pump? I sealed it with pond armor, waiting on my starphire to come in now!

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I am not an expert, but I think it would be better to have two 1" spray bars as opposed to four 1/2" spray bars.
The 1" spray bars could carry a lot more water. Remember, the area of pipe cross section is (pi)Radius ^ 2.
So two 1" pipes carry a lot more.

If it was my tank, I'd probably put in a third 2" drain, just in case one got clogged. Always best to overdesign your drains to avoid flooding (if it's not too much extra work)

EDIT: you probably already know this, but just in case.. put a ball valve on the output of your pump in case you need to throttle back the water flow into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store