What's up with my Indo's belly ??

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I've had this guy for a little while now and noticed a little bit ago his belly was HUGE !! Not sure he he has something growing inside or ingested sand or what.. He is still eating and pounding pellets like no tomorrow..
Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411133647.425239.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1411133657.617979.jpg

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
I've had this guy for a little while now and noticed a little bit ago his belly was HUGE !! Not sure he he has something growing inside or ingested sand or what.. He is still eating and pounding pellets like no tomorrow..
Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics..

Stop feeding and use some Epsom salt

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Does it eat pellets from the bottom? I'd definitely let it fast for a few days to see if the bulge goes down.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Could be but dats are known to be pretty picky when it comes to taste and they'll quickly spit something out that's unfamiliar to them.When mine suck up a pellet along with a few bits of gravel they will spit everything out and suck back in the pellet.
BlueHunter looks to have mostly sand in his tank though.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
It's all sand in it. I had a Indo doing the same thing and it ended up looking like that and all rocks in the stomach. If you take the fish out and feel the stomach alittle you should feel the sand inside.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
So if I pull him out and put him in a QT tank with some Epsom Salt do you think he'll pass the sand ?? Or is he just eventually going to be a loss .. :(

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
One of my 5" Indos have a stomach like that and I think it's just from pigging out. Mine takes like 4-5 massivore pellets at each feeding everyday so he's always been like that except I have a bare tank, so it could be possible he swallows sand or gravel like others have stated.

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
I haven't tried not feeding for a few days because i have lots of other hungry mouths to feed in that tank.. Should i pull him and throw in a qt tank for a few days and see if he poops any sand or his belly goes down without food ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store