Done with Eheim - sunsun review

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I get it, but the same could be said about a rock, a piece of driftwood, or even the depth of ones substrate. It's all relative to the size of the tank. A black painted intake tube up against a black painted background, and forgetaboutit. :)
agreed haha

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Depending on the hob, and the positioning of your tank, the amount of space between the tank and the wall may become an issue. Every little bit counts when kids are running around, and are "eyeball into the corner of the stand" height. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That's right, which is precisely why every filtration style/method has their pros & cons. :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Depending on the hob, and the positioning of your tank, the amount of space between the tank and the wall may become an issue. Every little bit counts when kids are running around, and are "eyeball into the corner of the stand" height. :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Invention idea:

"ABSAS" air bag system for aquarium stands

Children gets too close to aquarium; air bags immediately deploys; children cleared of aquarium; children no longer comes near aquarium (ever again)

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
I have never used HOB so cannot comment on those.

And although prefering sumps vs canisters, I have to go back to mainly canister nowadays to reduce the weight (moving back to an apartment).

As regards the ones I have currently running:

- Eheim 2250 for close to 20 years (yes, 20): Still a very reliable "plug and play" canister;
- Sunsun 304B for close to 5 years: if we forget the UV lamp and the noise, still working as in day one;
- 2 x fluval FX5 (3 and 4 years): one is still working properly, the one has given me several issues with the pump. Both became noisy after the 3rd year

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm not tossing the eheim. Im going to hold onto it and maybe give it another go some day. Im contemplating making a new set of plumbing 1/2" braided tubing and a painted 1/2" pvc spraybar/intake. Maybe it'll work better on another tank set up different down the road. Who knows

It's a shame - I really liked the engineering on eheim filters.

Word to the wise. 2 day shipping is a relative term when you order anything online this close to Christmas. I just want my sunsun filters damn it

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
E heim is usually top notch but ridiculously expensive.

I like sponges, sunsun/ Odyssea canisters, and fluval c4 hob's. ive even made my own internal filters & canisters.

You have to be a little more careful with handling or make slight mods but imho Odyssea cfs is the way to go

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I've had my API XP canister for 6 years now. Only thing I've replaced was an impeller. To be honest, I bought it used so it's possible this thing has been running for more than 6 years. The only thing with canisters is yes, they clog and need to be cleaned frequently. A lot of that depends on your bioload though.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm all about air driven sponge filters. Money is tight at the moment, if it weren't for the gas exchange on a planted tank I'd be all over a sponge filter or two in the tank.

My fluval 104 has been running continously for over 10 years. The previous owner bought it some time in the 90's. All I've done is replace the impeller. Mostly because I stepped on it while I was cleaning it one day lol. Solid little beast.

:edit:
I actually ran it with a broken impeller shaft and 3 fins on the impeller for a couple weeks while I waited for my replacement parts

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
I have to say that my Sun-Sun 304b has been going strong for 3 years now. I have had no complaints. i can't say much for noise, all i hear in the room are the Hang on Back filters. For my 125 with a 55 gallon refugium set up, I use a combination of a DIY Walmart drawer/pot scrubber/floss setup , a HOB, and a Sun-Sun. I have always been of the opinion you can never have enough filtration. I just bought another Sun Sun for my other 55. All i have ever used on it was HOB's. Lets see if I have as good of luck on this new one. On the Sun-Sun, I have never had a UV bulb go out, but I have replace it twice just because of age recommendation.

PacuOwner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store