Are there any actual red "red devils"?

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
I'm not too sure what any of this has to do with Amphilophus, such as "red devils"?

Now we have people posting vids of their RT's? lol

For some unknown reason you decided to bump this old thread up to question the eyesight of some posters, when I have clearly shown you an example of a "red" Amphilophus citrinellus. And that fish of Scott's that is as red as the red ruler laying next to it, was only one generation removed from the wild. (F1) Now imagine what someone with the genetic know how could have done with that male, and a female that carried the same red gene, perhaps a specimen such as the fish that Modest Man caught in Hawaii. In several years of selective breeding someone could have easily developed a line of citrinellus that consistently produced red specimens. With enough dedication and time, perhaps even blood red, such as some of the midas from the Ren Mein line that was produced in Malaysia years ago.

In nature these color morphs are rare, no question about that, so breeders manipulate genes by crossing different species as a genetic short cut to success. That doesn't mean that one can't reach the same point by using pure specimens. As an example, take a look at the following 3 recent imports by Jeff Rapps.

Clearly all three of those fish have red markings on them. Which means that in Lake Nicaragua the chances are rather good that there are Amphilophus that display even more red, perhaps more than any westerner has ever seen. Collect those fish, and work with them for enough generations, and there is no doubt in my mind that eventually a strain of solid red fish could be produced.

Is it worth the time, effort, and $$$ to breed such a fish? Probably not in most breeders minds, which is why no one has ever seriously persued it. Even the Ren Mein line seemed to have died off years ago in a part of the world where these types of fish (and in this color morph) are fairly popular.
RD... I have tons of respect for you and I know you have enough knowledge to bust my head wide open! The only reason I said what I said was because the color that modest mans fish had would not be the same color of a $1000+ red texas(close but not the same). That's all I was saying. When I think of red, I think of blood. Now those new imports from Rapp's are on a different level. They are suprisingly more red than any I have ever seen. If these were posted after page 4 I'm sorry I didn't see them... I was just ready to put my 2 cents in. Trust me my reason for posting was not to go back and forth with you... I just used $1000 rt's to reffer to the deep red color I was talking about.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
dont hate on my fish. I speak through experience. tnx
[video=youtube;CQx6s2_-RWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQx6s2_-RWw[/video]

the red colors do exist on RTs and red Devils. but really rare.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, no worries crush, I wasn't looking to bust anyones head open. Sorry if it seemed that way, I was just attempting to prove my point.

ucantkillme89

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Charles County, MD
www.youtube.com
I feel like a real tiny person amongst giants in here lol. I've been around red devils since birth and never really laid eyes on even a picture of a red Red Devil till now!
This is how red Red Texas should really look.
That video posted with a red texas was pretty nice.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Rapps has some blood red devils!

uploadfromtaptalk1417056568758.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
I feel like a real tiny person amongst giants in here lol. I've been around red devils since birth and never really laid eyes on even a picture of a red Red Devil till now!
This is how red Red Texas should really look.
That video posted with a red texas was pretty nice.
thanks. They r both males, both :rip:rip

ucantkillme89

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Charles County, MD
www.youtube.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store