Nov 24, 2013
WA
love that one!!! :ROFL:

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
These too misconceptions are all too common
My dad and I saw a co worker of his at a restoraunt and at some point in the conversation we started talking about fish and he's telling me that he used to have oscars and snakeheads (before they where illegal). I asked him how often he used to clean his tank because those are some pretty messy fish and he says -and I quote- "Well, I had one of those fish that cleans the tank. I think it was called a pleco or something like that. I only needed to clean the tank once a month because the cleaner fish would eat all the poop."
Oh lord, it must've been nitrate heaven in that tank.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
"This fish food says it's a balanced diet. Do you have any regular fish food because my fish aren't on a diet?"

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Oh my gosh that's great!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1) Fish have emotions. Fish don't have emotions (at least not in the way humans do.) They don't get sad, happy or angry, seek revenge, lose hope, love or hate. They have instincts and limited amounts of memory. Having said that, it's certainly hard to watch a fire eel, RTC or giraffe catfish being hand fed and happily petted without wanting to infer emotion.

2) Fish are stupid and have no memory. While some species are less intelligent than others, it's fair to say that most species have some form of intelligence. If you chase one in the tank, hurt one, feed it, spend time around it while not harming it, it will remember that and determine that you are either a threat, not a threat, or something associated with food. A study found that fish that lived in parts of Hawaii where there were spear fisherman were far more able to stay away from people than those same species who had not lived in waters with spear fisherman. In a lake, where there had been no fishermen before, they found that once fishermen showed up, that many fish changed where they ate to avoid the fishermen, within a short span of time. There are many, many examples.

3) Fish do things for no reason. Fish are not insane or driven by random bouts of behavior. They hide, attack, eat, don't eat, mate, don't mate, jump, try to escape, seek a territory, swim with other fish for a reason. It may depend on many factors like decor, tank mates, lighting, feeding rituals, temperature, age, size of the tank, size of the fish, size of the tank mates, but it's not random. Changing the behavior may be possible with changes in the factors or it may not be changeable at all.

4) Fish have short life spans. While some common species do indeed have normal life spans of less than 3 years, many if not most species can live in captivity for 6 to 10 to 20 or more years if cared for properly. The larger the fish, often the longer the life span. Most don't reach that full life span and it's not because the fish couldn't.

5) Fish don't really get "that" big except in the wild. See #4 above. Well cared for, well fed, it's certain that many if not most fish can reach or exceed known maximum sizes in the wild. The limitations to that in captivity are multiple reasons, but genetics isn't one of them.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
1) Fish have emotions. Fish don't have emotions (at least not in the way humans do.) They don't get sad, happy or angry, seek revenge, lose hope, love or hate. They have instincts and limited amounts of memory. Having said that, it's certainly hard to watch a fire eel, RTC or giraffe catfish being hand fed and happily petted without wanting to infer emotion.
I don't know. Oscars are pretty moody lol

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Look at a dovii pair, it's like your average American married couple.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
Da. Puffers seem to get happy, mad, and depressed as do some large cichlids. I think some fish have emotions

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Smaller tanks are easier to maintain and clean

Sent from my SCH-R830C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store