Is this ok?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I have Honduran Red Point x Convict fry, I am guessing about 50 or so started with over 100. A couple times a week I have been scooping a few into the main tank to reduce the number. Well now they are quick enough and I have enough hiding spots that I have 12 in my main tank that are surviving and even come out during feeding. This is way more than I wanted to keep. These little guys are getting really fast and I am having a hard time catching them. So on to my question.

Would there be any problems putting my 3" GT and my 4.5" HRP (not one of the parents) in the fry tank and letting them pick off the fry at will or will fish over eat and cause digestive problems. I actually feel bad for the little guys but not sure what really to do with them. I sold the female off so I won't have any more.

Oscared

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
I don't have an answer to your question --but I'm curious to what the fry look like lol :)

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
In my experience they will not overeat to the point of health issues, but of course it could happen. Granted my experience is also with African cichlids, which may be a bit different.

Just my .02

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Put in several hiding places for frys to hide into so the GT and HRP can't get to them all in one shot, but rather a few at a time.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
They just look like little cons right now. Hard to get picks of they are so darn quick, these pics are from last week. The lines are darker on some. and others have hardly any lines. That is why I wanted to save a few to see what they would look like.

20141016_193717.jpg20141003_073117.jpg

20141016_193717.jpg

20141003_073117.jpg

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Put in several hiding places for frys to hide into so the GT and HRP can't get to them all in one shot, but rather a few at a time.
I put in some rocks and gravel and a piece of driftwood. I had to make it look nice because I cant stand bare bottom tanks (just my preferences) so that may help. But does that mean they will over eat if they are able to?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I put in some rocks and gravel and a piece of driftwood. I had to make it look nice because I cant stand bare bottom tanks (just my preferences) so that may help. But does that mean they will over eat if they are able to?
I highly doubt it

Oscared

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
I'm really beginning to understand everyone's concerns with hybrid cichlids. Could totally pawn those off as just convicts to the unsuspecting eye. Keep us updated on the ones you decide to grow out --still curious lol :)

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I'm really beginning to understand everyone's concerns with hybrid cichlids. Could totally pawn those off as just convicts to the unsuspecting eye. Keep us updated on the ones you decide to grow out --still curious lol :)
Yes they can that is why I am not selling to LFS.

They're going to look like convicts lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Probably. I have seen this hybrid before and some looked exactly like convicts others got a really nice color IMO. I saw a Leucistic one that looked like mini midas with great fins almost like a FH x midas but only 6". So I figured the hybrid happened lets see what comes of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store