Tips on getting bass from worms to frozen?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Have had the hardest time getting my bass off minnows. Harder than any other bass before, and I've converted at least 7, probably more. This guy was stubborn. Finally ate worms today. I don't mind worms as much cuz i always buy 20 dozen every 2 weeks for my rays. Thing is I would still rather have him on shrimp and smelt. So far I've been shaking the bag in front of the glass, getting his interest (which is tough cuz he's so damn shy and skiddish it's ridiculous), and dropping the food in. He won't come to the top, he won't hit right off the drop. Too shy. If I keep him waiting too long he goes and hides in a corner. My game plan is to continue putting the worms in ziploc bags, get him as comfortable as I can, and then in a few weeks when he takes worms quick and easy, i will try a worm first, followed by something frozen that was in the same bag as the worm juice. Don't see him starting to hit from the top, but maybe he likes worms more than minnows so well see. Just thought I would ask you guys if you had anything to add. Not a fan of starving but maybe I can push it a bit. Not really interested in training on pellets, done it before with freeze dried shrimp and krill method, but i prefer frozen and pellets tend to be messy and cause algae in excess. May reconsider if he's not putting on enough size. Tips?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Freshwater moray and a pleco. No dither. Temp is pretty high to boost metabolism. 29c? Moray just hides, i want to get him a friend to teach him, waiting for a murray cod i think would be a good partner.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
Freshwater moray and a pleco. No dither. Temp is pretty high to boost metabolism. 29c? Moray just hides, i want to get him a friend to teach him, waiting for a murray cod i think would be a good partner.

I can tell you competition and temp are two key players in teaching Pbass to eat anything. I'm too lazy to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit but 88f will get a Pbass hungry. Good cichlids and dithers will make them compete, and will get them to try news things, just because they don't want to give it up to the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Very good insight. I like that a lot, thanks. If I can get a murray cod of the appropriate size maybe that would do the trick. Not really interested in much else. Possibly a dorado.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ordered a dorado, hopefully that will help. Bass loves worms, in the 3 days I've got him on them he hammers them, 3 times a day, comes to the glass and begs. Big turn around.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You should stuff worms with a good brand of pellets to get the most nutrition.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I can tell you competition and temp are two key players in teaching Pbass to eat anything. I'm too lazy to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit but 88f will get a Pbass hungry. Good cichlids and dithers will make them compete, and will get them to try news things, just because they don't want to give it up to the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 that's why I always buy as many as I can afford, getting them pellet trained is way easier! Maybe you should buy some cheap bass to add to the tank temporarily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store