Disapearing bettas!!!!

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
I had a small (1" maybe) Con in with 8" Oscars and Jacks - never got touched. It really depends on the personality of the fish & the fight it'll put up.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Don't beat yourself up over it Mrs. Nicky this kind of stuff happens.

I've got 6 Aussie rainbows in with my gar it started out with 8 of them lost #7 tonight.

I also have a lot of WC minnows, rosie reds, guppies, and 4 GF in with him.

BUT!
I new full well what could/is happening to the rainbows since there is no way out of the tank.
They are 3 inches the gar is 9 inches.

When I bought the gar there was a 10 inch CK & a 4 inch oscar in with him. the 4 inch oscar was picking on the gar & gold clown knife, BOTH fish that were 2x plus his size.
Just another example of how aggressive a cichlid can be.

One more thing that goes back to size with cichlids it doesn't really matter, temperment and territory matter more.
They are very unforgiving when it comes to sharing a domain.

Rich

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Don't beat yourself up over it Mrs. Nicky this kind of stuff happens.

I've got 6 Aussie rainbows in with my gar it started out with 8 of them lost #7 tonight.

I also have a lot of WC minnows, rosie reds, guppies, and 4 GF in with him.

BUT!
I new full well what could/is happening to the rainbows since there is no way out of the tank.
They are 3 inches the gar is 9 inches.

When I bought the gar there was a 10 inch CK & a 4 inch oscar in with him. the 4 inch oscar was picking on the gar & gold clown knife, BOTH fish that were 2x plus his size.
Just another example of how aggressive a cichlid can be.

One more thing that goes back to size with cichlids it doesn't really matter, temperment and territory matter more.
They are very unforgiving when it comes to sharing a domain.

Rich
Thanks

***125 GALLON: 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 Convicts, 2 German Blue Rams, 2 red jewels, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Angelfish, 1 Vieja Syn and 1 12 inch pleco.
60 GALLON: 1 Red Devil.***

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
Thanks

***125 GALLON: 1 Jack Dempsey, 2 Convicts, 2 German Blue Rams, 2 red jewels, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Angelfish, 1 Vieja Syn and 1 12 inch pleco.
60 GALLON: 1 Red Devil.***
I know the feeling well. I have tried on dozens of different occasions trying to keep either sex of Betta (Obviously 1 male at a time only!) in community tank settings with only one success story.

I have kept a female crown tail with guppies and Mokreb crayfish. The Betta Spleddito (Siamese Fighting Fish) is matched only by the Northern Snakehead in misleading and or "false" common names (Frankenfish).

These utterly beautiful little fish are absolutely the number 1 worst fighter and are for all intent and purpose defenseless against ANY OTHER FISH SPECIES! My fully grown female crowntail is NOT the boss of the guppy tank, the largest fancy guppy is!!!

I had a German ram kill male Bettas twice there size within a week MANY TIMES! It was NOT a fluke, or by accident!

I know Siam was the former name of Thailand. Is the uber brutal sport of Thai Boxing responsible for the Betta's ludicrous common name in the hobby?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store