Treats for Peacock Bass?

lanturns

Feeder Fish
Dec 9, 2014
Washington, DC
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, please point me to the right one if I am. This is my very first post and I hope to become more active, this seems like an amazing community.

I have a footlong peacock bass. She's eating the spectrum giant fish formula and the frozen foods I put in, but didn't seem to like the superworms I tried yesterday (my flowerhorn, on the other hand, loved them). She's getting along well with the six other fish in the aquarium (it's 125 gallons and I stocked it with 2 severums, a synodontus, an ornate bichir, a pleco, and a small flowerhorn. I'm running a fluval fx6 cannister filter on the tank), but she honestly kind of looks bored. So I'm thinking - what about basic training? Recognizing me, maybe teaching her a trick or two (suggestions?), generally trying to make her life fulfilling.

So to start, I've bought two packets of cat treats from a local specialty food shop. One is Buddy Biscuits’ Grain Free Cat Treats in Tender Chicken flavor. It’s grain and gluten free. The ingredients listed are chicken, chickpea flour, potato flour, maple syrup, tapioca starch, vegetable glycerine, gelatin, “natural flavor,” salt, phosphoric acid, sorbic acid, citric acid, mixed tocopherols, and rosemary. The other is “Bites Real Meat All Natural Jerky Treats” in Beef flavor. The ingredients listed are: Beef, dried chicory root, vegetable glycerin, sea salt, and mixed tocopherols. It claims to be 95% beef. Are there any reasons I can't give these to my fish? I haven't opened them yet and will give them to my local crazy cat lady for Christmas if they'll be a problem.
Thank you guys!

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Pbass enrichment? Get a laser pointer and some Nerf darts with suction cups. Mine will watch kiddy TV, I just set a laptop up beside the tank and run a youtube playlist of animated shows for toddlers. The fish will recognize you on her own over time, and will be able to tell you apart from other humans.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
Unfortunately the cat treats would not be a good idea because the digestive system of a peacock bass is just not equipped to handle protein from warm blooded animals well, one or two every other week or so probably wouldn't hurt but much more than that I'd be worried about fatty liver disease. Other treat items like frozen shrimp or small fish (lake smelt/silversides), or maybe even dried silkworm pupae (these are sold as treats for koi) would be much healthier. Also if I were you I'd keep trying with the superworms, my old bass were unsure of them at first but grew to love them.

As fr as alleviating boredom, environmental enrichment like heather suggested would probably work best. As I'm sure you noticed Cichla are very visually oriented, so things like cat toys and laser pointers work great! Just have a towel ready.

I used to have a peru mono that used to chase people outside the tank if they were moving fast or erratically.

speskowi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2013
Streetsboro, OH
A laser pointer would work. My peacock bass would chase house flies that it saw flying around the room. Don't feed anything made for cats. Bad idea. Stick with frozen she in or pellets. Maybe some live crickets

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store