Most beautiful/awesome native fish

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This maybe a stupid question..
but why aren't any of these fish found in aquarium trade?
Many states don't allow for the sale of native fish and some you can't own them at all. However most let you own and sell/buy them so it's sad that they aren't as popular as they should be in the hobby. People are to set on "natives aren't hardy and need coldwater" or "native fish are boring". I feel the opposite, I keep mainly natives plus a good bit of tropical catfish and I feel that there's many ignorant people out there because they're not even willing to try natives and feel that tropicals are the only thing that can be kept. Now just predict what would all us American hobbyists do if the aquarium heater wasn't invented, oh yes, we'd more that likely be almost all native keepers and be happy being them. Just my two cents.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Many states don't allow for the sale of native fish and some you can't own them at all. However most let you own and sell/buy them so it's sad that they aren't as popular as they should be in the hobby. People are to set on "natives aren't hardy and need coldwater" or "native fish are boring". I feel the opposite, I keep mainly natives plus a good bit of tropical catfish and I feel that there's many ignorant people out there because they're not even willing to try natives and feel that tropicals are the only thing that can be kept. Now just predict what would all us American hobbyists do if the aquarium heater wasn't invented, oh yes, we'd more that likely be almost all native keepers and be happy being them. Just my two cents.
whoa whoa whoa buddy...watch that tone. You know cichlids are the ONLY fish ever.

vishwa.J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2014
Sri Lanka
ah...So I assume they will never make it to LFS in Tropical countries..
Temperature of water in my tank is around 25-26 degrees Celsius without any heaters..

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
The pupfish are about an hour out from vegas in Amargosa Valley, very remote. I want to clarify, in case I was misleading. I have been to as close as they allow you to get to hole with fences. You can see the hole from there but cant really make out the fish. I have seen the fish kept in capitivity at the research center and a hybrid at shark reef aquarium in vegas. Sweet fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store