Turtle ID?

frankie808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pakistan
Hello guys. Saw this cute turtle at the lfs. What kind of turtle it is? its freshwater and about 7 inches long. One more question, Can it be kept with fish or species alone?

Thanks You :)

20140331_230910.jpg

20140331_230913.jpg

20140331_230919.jpg

frankie808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pakistan
thanks for the Id guys. im convinced its some sort of soft shell turtle. So can i add with a few catfish around 1.5 ft long (TSN)? and do they need a basking area?

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
It is a Indian flapshell turtle (Lissemys punctata). They can be kept with LARGER fish with that being said they do eat fish. They do need a basking area to thermal regulate. They love worms, crickets and you can get them to eat turtle pellets but I would try to feed a variety of foods.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Sorry to pul up what may be a dead topic. But, at closest from your pics, it would look like a Florida softshell. I do not think it is an american softy at all. That is an Indian Flapshell. Rare a few years ago. Nice find! Research flapshell. Lissemys family. Thanks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It was already identified a few posts before yours.

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Oops. I thought I read all posts. I meant to. I was just so excited when I saw the pics. Those have only recently come back to importation. Most are beat. That one looks great from the pics. I got too excited. Thanks for setting me straight on the fact that my info was futile.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Lissemys punctata isnt a species i've ever seen available here, very nice find!

I would not mix it with fish, even larger ones are likely to fall prey to it especially slow moving bottom dwellers. Might do ok with fish if they are both larger, and fast moving top dwellers, as this will make them far less likly to be eaten, but all it takes is one lucky shot and a nice chunk of fish and the turtle will be hooked and hunt down the bigger fish as well!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store