Aquaclear 70, slight rubbing noise

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Now that the Aquaclear 70 (300) is running. I'm just full of questions....

The unit is making a slight rubbing/grinding noise. I now remember it doing this before and buying a new impeller. It didn't make a difference at the time. So, I'm thinking it might be time to buy a new motor. It doesn't seem to affect operation of the filter at all. It's just annoying when the room is completely quiet.

Anyone else gone through this with an Aquaclear?

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I had the same problem. The play sand from the tank apparently was sticking to the inside of the housing. I took a hose on high pressure to the impeller housing and problem solved. Hopefully this works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I had the same problem. The play sand from the tank apparently was sticking to the inside of the housing. I took a hose on high pressure to the impeller housing and problem solved. Hopefully this works for you.

I'll do that the next time it's due for a cleaning. Would hate to take it apart right now.

When I set up the 55 gallon aquarium originally, it had (and still has) a Fluval 405 underneath it. I mounted a 42" plasma TV above the tank and the clearance to get the Aquaclear behind the tank is rather tight, so I'm not moving it till I absolutely have to.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
My tank has a tv above it as well. I switched my tv mount to one with a swinging arm so I can service the filters easier. 2 ac110.?your fluval should be good though. For me noise is a big pet peeve so I just took care of it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My 110 made lots of noise. I had to remove the impeller assembly, clean it, and lube it.

It would be hellaciously loud for the first couple hours after I fired it up and primed it. Then thinhs would kindof settle in.

My lid also vibrated and made lots of noise which I mistook for impeller noise at times. A rubber band on the lid (or flat out removing it) did the trick.

theres a Reason why its in a Landfill somewhere

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
My 110 made lots of noise. I had to remove the impeller assembly, clean it, and lube it.

It would be hellaciously loud for the first couple hours after I fired it up and primed it. Then thinhs would kindof settle in.

My lid also vibrated and made lots of noise which I mistook for impeller noise at times. A rubber band on the lid (or flat out removing it) did the trick.

theres a Reason why its in a Landfill somewhere

What kind of lubricant did you use? I have a bunch of teflon lubricant left over from my pool. Can I use that?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I used Vaseline or 100% petroleum jelly - which is sort of frowned upon in aquariums but does what its supposed to do. Its petroleum based and can potentially damage plastic and degrade rubber parts its in contact with. I used a very lihjt coating applied with a toothpick. You shouldn't need to lube an impeller but it'll sort of hold you over if the thing id worn out.

100% NSF food grade silicone grease is the ideal thing to use.

Not sure about teflon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store