New rod opinions

Moonbat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
San Jose, CA.
The Clarus rods seem good. I just rewrapped one for my neighbor. Decent components but not necessarily what they advertise. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Just suggesting it but sounds like you are more into rod quality and construction than me. I started fishing again 4 years ago and bought all ugly sticks before i realized the Extreme difference for sensitivity of rod. You need this not only to better detect bites, but to feel the underwater terrain. I loved my ugly sticks and caught many fish on them but after a minor upgrade to the clarus rods i can't believe how much more it adds to my learning.

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
get a st.croix premier, but if you're willing to go a little nearer to $200, the avid series are great for the price

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Finally got a chance to take out the new setup and I'm loving it. It was very easy to distinguish between hits from small fish and the lure hitting objects in the water. Got a couple 2# lmb and they didn't come close to pushing the equipment nor was the equipment so stiff so that it took all the fun out of it. Thanks for all the input.

TheTedP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Central Florida
Just suggesting it but sounds like you are more into rod quality and construction than me. I started fishing again 4 years ago and bought all ugly sticks before i realized the Extreme difference for sensitivity of rod. You need this not only to better detect bites, but to feel the underwater terrain. I loved my ugly sticks and caught many fish on them but after a minor upgrade to the clarus rods i can't believe how much more it adds to my learning.
Guilty. Just like we learn way more than people think we should from our aquarium hobby, I've learned way too much about fishing rod construction and components from rod building.

I had never held a Clarus until last week. It wasn't this year's model but its a nice rod. If I wasn't rolling my own, they would be in the rod holder for sure.

Ugly sticks are good rods, especially for the price. I don't think you can find a fisherman who doesn't have one or at least had one at one time. Sure they are spongy but very forgiving. For the sensitivity you lose and the weight you gain with the glass, you get a rod that you can really load up. I find them more forgiving than a stiffer high mod graphite rod.

But I'm with you. When you feel the light weight and nice sensitivity of a good graphite rod, it's tough to go back.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishboynick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2011
Santa Cruz
I think that it might be time for you guys to go to a bait casting rod and get a lamaglass. One of the best rods I have ever owned. There is just so MUCH more you can do with a bait casting setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store