Aequidens diadema sp. Jenaro herrera

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Your fish are looking good, thanks for posting.

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
Holy fatties! Awesome pics. :D

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Any updates on these aequidens? Pics? Spawns?

Mine still show little color beside the tans, and yellows.

I'm down to two of them now, and am just hoping that they might pair up...However, I'm not certain as to how these are sexed.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I don't have any recent pics but I still have all four. The biggest one is about 6" TL the smallest one is about 4.5". They have colored up but not as much as Metae or others I had in the past but very nice fish none the less. Little con-specific arression but I have seen some breeding behavior (flairing, shaking etc) latly but no eggs yet.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I still have my two that survived. Largest is about 5" and smallest is 3.5". I think I have a male and female. I'm hoping they pair up if I'm correct. I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow during feeding time. Definitely one of the more colorful cichlids I've kept.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Is there anyway to tell genders? Mine havent grown as much because they were in a crowded tank, but since I've moved some stock out they should have a growth spurt...at least I'm hoping.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I only assume I have a male and female because of the large difference in growth between them despite that they have been under the exact same conditions together. I'm not actually sure if its possible to tell gender short of venting and I think 4" is about the earliest time you can vent them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Tom, do you still have these? If so, do you have any updated pictures? Have you gotten any kind of spawning activity?

Mine are maybe 6" or so, and aggressive as ever to each other and everything in the tank, but they've shown no signs of pairing or anything. I'm wondering if there's a trigger.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
No Ryan, I got rid of them last December. They never breed for me. Large warm water changes seemed to get them to start acting like they wanted to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store