770 Gallon Monster Setup

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Those golden sharks are aka cigar sharks... That will be an awesome dozen.

Oh and my dream tank by the way.

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
I have the air pump on top of the tank. I would be nervous relying on a check valve to prevent any back siphon in the event of a power outage. You think if I run the air line up high enough before going back down under the stand it will be ok?

So I raised the temps in the tank to 80F and bought 27 fish on Saturday. Raising the temp got my goldfish in the mood...they starting breeding on Sunday morning. Goldfish eggs were actually the first snack for my new tropical fish.

Here's what I bought:

(6) 4" Wide Bar Silver Dollars (Myleus Schomburgkii)
(9) 5" Redfin Bala Sharks (Cyclocheilichthys janthochir)
(12) 3" Golden Sharks - no idea what these are

Can somone help me identify the fish in the video below? They were labeled Golden Sharks and I saw a larger one in the shop that was around 8".

They look kinda like scissor tail rasboras. They stay at the surface of the tank. They were only $4 each.

[video=youtube_share;xQaZZIjQuZU]http://youtu.be/xQaZZIjQuZU[/video]
Congrats again Alex on your finds !!!! When you come up next time I'll go around with you and maybe you can stop by my place. Yea I think if you run the air line even 12"s above the tank it will eliminate any worry of back siphon. You can test that even w/o a power outage just to reassure yourself ;)

that is awesome news on the goldfish, IF you ever get rid of them I'll take them !! I would love a/dozen breeding pairs of goldfish to raise my own feeders, didn't realize it was that easy.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Congrats on your way to finally getting the tank the way you want it. Pretty cool to hear the goldfish started spawning.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
You should try moving the air pump inside the house and just running the hoses out to the tank, I bet you'd have to use the heaters even less...
Sorry I missed this post...my house is about 50 feet from where the tank is...but this is an interesting idea.

Those golden sharks are aka cigar sharks... That will be an awesome dozen.

Oh and my dream tank by the way.
Hmmm...it'll be interesting to see if that's what they grow into. I'm actually familiar with Cigar barbs (Leptobarbus hoevenii) and the ones I've seen typically have red fins. These fish that I bought have yellow fins. The shop had a larger one (around 8") that looked just like these little guys (fins were still yellow on the larger one). They also had true cigar barbs for sale, so maybe they are related, but I'm pretty sure it's a different species...or at least I hope so. I made a rookie mistake and bought this fish going off of what the guys at the shop told me..."maximum size 10".

I think I actually just found them: Rasbora tornieri or Yellowtail Rasbora. Good news is that the max size listed is much smaller than Cigar barbs (thank god...I didn't want 12 fish at 20" each!).
http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/Cyprinids/Rasbora_tornieri/

Congrats again Alex on your finds !!!! When you come up next time I'll go around with you and maybe you can stop by my place. Yea I think if you run the air line even 12"s above the tank it will eliminate any worry of back siphon. You can test that even w/o a power outage just to reassure yourself ;)

that is awesome news on the goldfish, IF you ever get rid of them I'll take them !! I would love a/dozen breeding pairs of goldfish to raise my own feeders, didn't realize it was that easy.
Thanks. I'm excited about growing these guys out. The Wide Bars and "Golden Sharks" are eating like pigs. Unfortunately, the Redfin Balas are not liking the New Life Spectrum pellets I've been feeding...they keep spitting them out. Hopefully they will come around soon.

Good call on the pump...I'll test it out to make sure there's no risk of a back siphon.

In regards to the goldfish, the lady I bought them from started out with just a few in her pond and now she has 60 to 70 of them. I'm probably going to keep them for another week or two, but I do plan to get rid of them. I got the larger ones for free (so you can have those), but I bought the shubunkins, so I was going to put those for sale on craigslist and try to get at least half of what I paid for them (I paid $15 each). The egg laying female was one of the larger ones I got for free, so she's all yours if you want her. Catching them is going to be a real PITA.

Congrats on your way to finally getting the tank the way you want it. Pretty cool to hear the goldfish started spawning.
Thanks! Not sure if anyone would be interested, but I took a short video of it...I'll post it up later tonight.

LOPAKA

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
where EVERY things LEGAL :)
I finished the panels for the canopy a few hours ago. I think it turned out ok. Here's a video of the finished product during feeding time:

[video=youtube_share;g_F_M2SuK4I]http://youtu.be/g_F_M2SuK4I[/video]
LOL well bro, it either puts the tanks size in perspective or tells us how short you really are..... very nice work though, just a matter of time before those fish put on some size.

Wish I would of known sooner on the goldfish and I would of had you bring them up this past weekend :(

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
LOL well bro, it either puts the tanks size in perspective or tells us how short you really are..... very nice work though, just a matter of time before those fish put on some size.

Wish I would of known sooner on the goldfish and I would of had you bring them up this past weekend :(
Lol- It's only a 55G. I'm 1 foot tall.

awesome lookin, tank. it looks crazy big with you standing next to it while feeding
Thanks. I need to buy a little step stool. Now that I've added the canopy I struggle to get the food into the feeding hole.

Thats AWESOME!!!!! I'd really like to see it when you have it completely set up with all of the fish!!!!!!
It's going to look completely empty when i get rid of the goldfish. The Wide Bar SDs are only 3", the Red Fin Balas love to hide and the Yellowtail Rasboras are not shy at all, but they are also small (3"). Once they all grow out I think it will look nicely stocked. I'm picking up two more Wide Bar SDs in a couple minutes to bring my shoal up to 8.

Do you guys think that adding a Texas, Green Terror, Jack Dempsey and Oscar in a few weeks once these guys get settled would cause any problems? I've had success keeping community setups with one cichlid (typically an oscar), but I've never tried a Texas, GT, JD and Oscar combo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store