What do you HATE that everybody else seems to LOVE in the hobby?

digidat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2011
Madison
I'm going to get flamed for this but I really don't like cichla kelberis, I just don't see the beauty in them

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
I'm going to get flamed for this but I really don't like cichla kelberis, I just don't see the beauty in them

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
D:! HOW DARE YOU?! LOL jk. I'm not a big fan of cichla in general myself, and I don't see why you should get flamed lol.

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Birchirs, Red Devil/Midas, Jaguars, regular JD, silver arowanas, gar-like characins, common species of peacock bass and some "cheaper" pleco are just plain boring as hell.
How dare you ?!!! bichirs and jaguar are boring ?? silver arowanas !!?? exactly what kind of fish do you keep ??

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
So... you have all your fish swimming in fresh-from-the-tap water?...
yes , and I've never had any problems ! I mean whats the proof that water conditioners even work ?? who told you that the river water is cleaner than tap water ?
maybe tap water in the US is contaminated with heavy metals ! but over here , tap water is minimally treated river water ... don't adapt your water chemistry to fit your fish , make your fish adapt slowly to your original water chemistry . commercially bred aquarium fish can tolerate tap water PERIOD!

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
I know these responses are supposed to be rhetorical, but I can't help myself.

Goldfish popularity: Name a fish that can survive in temps as varied as cold as 32F up to 90F, with low dissolved oxygen levels, high levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? That's why they are so popular.

Fake Plants: they are maintenance free; they will not clog your filter, die or be eaten by plant eating fish.

Water Conditioner: It's a fact that most water treatment plants use chemicals to kill bacteria in our water. The levels are low enough so that they are not toxic to humans, but can be toxic to fish. If you are treating a large amount of water, use Seachem Safe (it's the concentrated powder form of Prime and 5 grams treats 450G of Chlorine treated water) and pretty cheap- 8.8lbs of it will cost you less than $100 and will treat 360,000 gallons.

Xellos: If you wanted to do a 1,000G water change every day for a year, it would only cost you only $0.28 per daily water change. If you are doing 40% per week, that's only $1.12 per month to treat your water.

My pet Peaves:

1. Overstocked tanks- the argument that it is the proper way to keep aggressive fish together is ridiculous. JDM = Just Dumb Man
2. A lot of people on here say, "I will upgrade to a larger tank when X fish gets to be X feet long" but no one seems to actually follow through.
3. The idea that fish are treated like commodities instead of pets. You don't see people trading their dogs or cats on the internet, so why do people do it with fish?
4. People that pose questions to see if they can get someone to agree with their thoughts, when even the OP knows (deep down) that they are wrong. i.e.- can I get a Pima, RTC, Aro etc. and keep it in a 240G?
I am not against what you say here , it just that these are the things that I dont like , i thought this is what we should write in this thread !
About Seachem Safe , I can't find any in my country , all i can find is the 14 $ bottles that are used up by my second water change , and as I said before the tap water in here is lot safer than Tap water in the US .

crazysteve

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
kentucky
Red tail cats !!!!!!! omg, on craigs list all the time. and now thats is TOO Big for there 55 gal ,and making there nitrates jump up to fast for them to keep up with water changes. they want $200 for a 20 inch fish then after weeks go by and price goes down then there free lol

Kanta

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2009
Omaha
pacu
gatf
rtc
cichla
color gravel
jdm
blood parrots
oscars
lung fish
hybrids

idk i am just weird i guess

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I can't think of anything I hate in this hobby that other people love. I hate dyed colored fish but I think most people hate that too. I hate that some dealers sell none aquatic plants as aquatic plants. I hate that its a 12-14 hour round trip drive to socal LOL. I hate that most people selling there fish in the Marketplace forum will not ship.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store