Considering a Tropical Pond

follarin63

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
deep water
It's easily big enough, but I doubt you can heat it warm enough, even in south france. 35k litres (9500 Gallons) is a lot of water.
It's true, that's why i'm considering to convert it in"indoor pond", my wife is close to agree !! she became to ask me to see the different Big Cichlid !!

If i could close the pond, it would not be a problem to warm all the water for me.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
throw some arapimas in there! lol

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Such a Great Thread!!!!! We demand updates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for no updates but there's nothing good to report. The drought rages on here and my well could no longer keep up with backwashing the filter so I had no choice but to rehome the fish and shut down the pond :cry:. A huge amount of chlorine later and I have a swimming pool again. All of the pond filtration is still in place and I will turn it back into a pond someday when this drought ends. At this point it will take at least a year of good rainfall to replenish our aquifer enough to support running the pond again. It sucks but mother nature always wins in the end. All I can do is wait. They say this type of drought only occurs here once every 50-60 years so when it finally does come to an end things should be good for the rest of my life.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So sad. Sorry to hear. I believe it is just a matter of time before it hits San Diego. I've already converting people pond filter to a washable cartridge to conserve water from backwashing. The bead filters just take way too much water.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Such a shame :( hope things work out in the future for you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Damn.I went through this entire thread and was looking forward to some progress updates of those dolphin barbs but instead I arrive at this sad ending....

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
So sad. Sorry to hear. I believe it is just a matter of time before it hits San Diego. I've already converting people pond filter to a washable cartridge to conserve water from backwashing. The bead filters just take way too much water.
When I'm able to start the pond up again I think I'll go to a cartridge filter like you have in front of the bead filter and just use the bead filter for fines or replace the beads with bio.

We are finally we getting decent rain...5 inches and counting over the last 2 days. Now if the rest of fall/winter can be good I might be back in business in the Spring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store