Meat dept. fish as catfish food

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I feed my channel cats sprat chunks, from the fresh fish counter, i do cut the head and tail off.
IMHO, you are throwing money away and worsening the quality of their diet.

OP: yes. Does not need to be fresh, frozen is cheaper. Do not make a fat fish (usually from cold or temperate water) or a crustacean a staple. 30% is fine. Main diet should be lean fish, usually from tropics. Cichlids are the prime food of TSN in the wild. RTC will take almost anything. If neitehr does, fast for a day or two or a week as needed. They will take it.

Quality pellets are also needed as many frozen-thawed foods lack certain vitamins and minerals in the right bio-chemical form. Or a soak in a simple, cheap, commercial vitamin soak.

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
my 2 RTC eat Bassa Fish Fillets, I unthaw it in cold water about an 1/2 hour before feeding, even my P-basses and Plecos love it. I cut it up in to 1" wide strips for the large one and smaller pieces for the 8-9" guy, neither will touch Massivore pellets, tried that, they both just went for the other fish, my larger one likes seaweed sheets, once in a while, supposedly they will eat some fruit as well, haven't tried it yet though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store