Shiner ID?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Indeed he does. He certainly does. But I know this lake system extremely well, been fishing there since I was eight. That's why I was so surprised to find a species there that I wasnt familiar with.

However, based on what I know of the system, past and present, there are no clupeids in there. They wouldnt survive there long term, yet I've seen this school of fish in one particular area in this lake since last year... actually in a deeper pocket in a length of stream nearly devoid of any life, due to its position between a drainage waterfall below a road and a cold, polluted, rocky and shallow section of stream. It's a very artificial waterway, and the stream is devoid of darters, crayfish, etc etc, most wildlife in general. The presence of this small school of fish surprised me, but as I said, I have seen them there for a while.

I may be there again next week. I'll try to take a better picture, and perhaps catch more than one individual.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I've fished this system my entire life and talked to hundreds of others who also have, and have yet to see any evidence of any shad. They are not present in the system. The lake is not usually stocked with forage fish of any kind, hence why there is a very low population of bass, but high population of bluegill, pumpkinseed, and bullheads, which subsist mainly on swamp crayfish and other inverts, as well as food thrown to the ducks by people. There are, however, a small number of golden shiners in some deeper regions of the lake.

I also held the fish in my hand and examined it closely, and noted it to be characteristic of a cyprinid, most likely a shiner. In doing so, I ruled out it being a clupeid. Even if you cannot do so by the pictures because you cannot see it clearly, I have.

It's 100% not a shad. I dont know why this is difficult for you to grasp.
like I said before, you cannot rule out the possibility of the fish being a shad till you get a better pictures. That's all I can say for now.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You can be surprised to hear the facts that shads can and will thriving in that type of waters. Shads are commonly stocked in artificial lakes and polluted lakes. They are very hardy fish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Not really. There's nothing to rule out that its not a shad unless a clear pic of the mystery fish.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Except the fact that I held the fish in my hand, and determined it to be a cyprinid? Just because it's blurry in the picture doesnt mean it was blurry in person.

I dont know why you're having such difficulty wrapping your head around this concept. It's not a shad. It's a cyprinid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store