What is the Fastest and safest way to do a water change???

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Fishing line. Tie a bit on each end, if tank allows, run a line out of each end at the top where a hole is cables, pipes etc. Tie together.
On my old pond I had a stainless steel hood for lights and screwed the wood onto it, so hung down like roots. Very effective. I'll post some pics if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
lol cant understand without pics man haha yeahh, im definitely intrested :D post em :)

L98Z28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2013
PA
I use a submersible pump I bought at Lowes for like 25.00. Garden hose hooks right up to it. Put the garden hose out the window. Before I turn the pump on I vacuum the sand in a 5 gallon bucket. Then pull out the fx5 and take that outside take it apart then go in and turn the pump on. Use the dirty tank water to wash out the fx5 and refill it. Rest of the water goest to the flower bed. When the tank is drained usually about 75% I simply hook the hose up to my sink and refill matching the water temp total time on my 180 is about an hour.
I also have natural spring well water. I love watching my oscars swim under the hose when I'm refilling. They love it!!! Had my water tested once and the guy who did the test said I should bottle my water and make some money. It's the best he's ever seen. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
The first pic shows it best. There are three individual branches, all cut "square" and have screws through the stainless steel, if not they wouldn't remain pointing down.

A well soaked piece of wood sinks anyway, so strong fishing line or airline would just support it off the aquarium substrate. All depends on your setup really I guess. Screws and stainless steel worked a treat for me. The wood was dead Oak

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The most time consuming effort in a WC is draining a big tank. Filling the tank is never an issue, because standard household water pressure is 40 ft so you can quadruple the gravity drainage rate. Gravity drainage rate is limited by the amount of gravity and the size of the hose. You can't change gravity, but can switch to pumped drainage. But pumped drainage is too strong and can hurt or suck out fish. Python and garden hose max out at 3/4", too small and slow for big tank. You can double the size by using pool hose, but starting siphon in a big hose is hard and the big hose can suck out fish. So my solution is to run double garden hose to double the drainage rate. However, I seldom go with double hose because I don't mind sitting back and let gravity does the job for me. The only exception is winter months because I can't dump the water outside but to my toilet that sits high which is intolerably slow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store