Jan 17, 2011
USA
ok will do...thanks

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
In a tank, I can't say for sure, but in the ponds in which I work, I'd say you flipped the body of water. Normally if you have a substrate that isn't turned over or otherwise aerated, anaerobic bacteria thrive in the substrate. When you pointed the power head at the sand, you stirred up this anaerobic bed and released hydrogen sulfide, which combined with a lack of a properly cycled filtration system, resulted in a dramatic DO2 drop, suffocating your fish (which is why they were all gasping at the top).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Apexden

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
USA
that makes total sense.......thanks for that lil bit of info
so should i use another PH along with the sump return in this case to oxygenate the tank?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
In a tank, I can't say for sure, but in the ponds in which I work, I'd say you flipped the body of water. Normally if you have a substrate that isn't turned over or otherwise aerated, anaerobic bacteria thrive in the substrate. When you pointed the power head at the sand, you stirred up this anaerobic bed and released hydrogen sulfide, which combined with a lack of a properly cycled filtration system, resulted in a dramatic DO2 drop, suffocating your fish (which is why they were all gasping at the top).

Solid theory, but this is a new set-up with substrate that hasn't even been in an aquarium, much less go anaerobic. Perhaps that unknown "black sand" substrate leached something toxic into the water

Apexden

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
USA
that was my initial thought after retracing my steps, so i loaded my overflow box and sump with carbon just to be safe

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Solid theory, but this is a new set-up with substrate that hasn't even been in an aquarium, much less go anaerobic. Perhaps that unknown "black sand" substrate leached something toxic into the water
My exact thoughts ..........

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I missed that somewhat significant (lol) fact somehow. That certainly changes things!

The black sand may have been millings of asphalt as so many people here in the south use for driveways. It looks like sand and has no odor, but it is still a petroleum product that is a byproduct of paving.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if tank not cycled and fish in you well need to be doing 75% or better water changes every other day, new water primed for size of tank not water replacing. prime lasts 48 hours, hence the every other day water change, just adding more prime and not doing them not work as prime only works up to 2ppm, once it wares out it re-leased that back into the water. effective raising to ppm,s to past 2ppm. depending where you cycle is this will need to happen from 4 to 8 weeks. until you show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and showing nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store