Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com

tsmith50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2015
charlotte nc
As you may already know......and I've been hearing and reading very often, good quality food and plenty of water change (among other things) will potentially bring out the best in just about any fish. Although time, dedication and research won't ultimately determine the quality of the specimen, with those, you stand a good chance of raising a " stunner " ................love that "stunner " idea, that was an excellent comment !

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Thanks... I hope to bring him up to be a big beefy monster like a lot of Midas i've seen on thgis site. :)

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
You got a Rapps F1 I'm sure it'll be awesome. Sunlight and shrimp seem to be the big deal for reds. I wonder if full spectrum lights do the trick? I just moved my midevil into a 90 gallon and he's a little bit paler every day. He spent most of his life in a very heavily planted tank that got full sun every day the only thing that has really changed for him is more room and less natural light.

LivingForTheFuture

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2009
Colorado
I have seen nicer, but seeing you live in the uk its hard to know if your going to find better, they literally fish these things out of the florida channels in the US so I have see much better looking specimens, I have owned a albino and super orange midus that had bigger koks than this one... So yeah you may be limited to what you can find in your location.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The "midas" and RD's found in the canals of FL are feral hybrids, unlike the wild and first generation specimens that Jeff Rapps sells. Also, the OP's fish is still very young, it's only 7". Hard to compare that to a mature 3-4 yr old male. And just a FYI, a midas that is white isn't an albino, it's simply a white morphed midas.

If you are attempting to tweak the color via its diet, forget about krill and/or shrimp, and focus on foods that have a large inclusion rate of natural astaxanthin, specifically Haematococcus pluvialis algae, which contains approx 50,000 ppm of natural astaxanthin, vs the 1200-1500 ppm found in krill and shrimp.

http://www.oceanicinstitute.org/newsevents/pdf/05CysewskiCyanotech.pdf

Most fish food manufacturers now contain one or more forms or astaxanthin, some use both natural & synthetic forms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store