Rope Fish keepers?

musc88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
Buffaol, New York
I used to have 2 ropes with some plecos. I'd try to keep the bottom dwellers to just those.

Non aggressive and short fins for sure as tank mates.

May I suggest Congo tetras as a school for a mid to upper tank level with rope fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
I have with bichir also. But this morning i saw a rope in my poly senegalas. I took the rope out but he was a goner. Im not sure what to move out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Senegal must've been hungry. They're not typically interested in polys/ropes. Unless the rope was like agitating the poly.

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
My reedfish are active and peaceful. Have four in a tank with 3 leopard ctenopoma, 2 African butterfly fish, a pair of kribs, a shoal of large Congo tetras, some red crabs, a whiptail catfish, a couple of small s. Decorus and some Cory's.
They never bother anything, very peaceful compared to a Senegal that I had in there, he would snap at anything.
Mine eat massivore as a staple with live crickets and some shrimp thrown in a couple of times a week.
I'd recommend the butterfly fish, ctenopoma, kribs and Congo's. Just make sure the Congo's aren't too small. All African and all get along in my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shopko

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Virginia
You can tell from this thread, Rope Fish are pretty easy, if you can keep them in your tank. I have 6 in my 120g. They are in with a dozen Rainbow fish, a small (9in) Ornate, a Poli (10in), an EB Jack Dempsey and a Striped Raffielle catfish.

No small fish, like guppies, would last 10 sec in that tank. I would avoid plecos based on the slime coat issue. Other than that, IMO general rule applies here...If it can't fit in their mouth, you are pretty much safe.

Good luck...Rope fish are really cool!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
I found a pair locally and picked them up. Loving the way they play and investigate everything. They hide a lot during the day, but come evening, they are out roaming the tank in search of food and fun. So far, they have not gone for the mass of feeders swimming about in the tank. May end up plopping the feeders into Katie's tank with her Ornate, Senegal, and Gar. Still looking for two more, the tank is large enough for more...

WP_20141102_018.JPG

WP_20141102_018.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store