Are pure Rays a thing of the past?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Hmmm I think that it seems like as a hobby we are leaning towards the a asian side in regards to just breeding for whatever looks the best. It seems at least as of now that the hobby really likes whatever looks best not for what the name of it is.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hmmm I think that it seems like as a hobby we are leaning towards the a asian side in regards to just breeding for whatever looks the best. It seems at least as of now that the hobby really likes whatever looks best not for what the name of it is.

Don't you think that's a good thing

We wouldn't buy a shirt that looks rubbish and doesn't fit just because it's a designer brand

All this Ray snobbery is crazy

Fishwhore

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
_______
Just an idea. Why don't we organize a freshwater stingray group that logs and classifes species of Rays and their offspring in the USA. Kinda like the "akc" of dogs but for rays. That way we can preserve bloodlines and value of stingrays in the us. Make our bloodlines and hybrids desirable in Asia and a chance for us to make some coin in this hobby.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
We are far off what they have and what they can do, them wanting what we have it not likely ever going to happen. When have you seen a tank with one albino here in the USA? They have groups of albino rays and much much more. Heck we don't even have all the different pure types that they are using and have for hybrids. I'm not even aware of any 5th generation hybrids here really. And just because we put a name to a ray which they already have does not mean it's going to fetch a higher value. All comes down to the reputation of the breeder and his name and the business name that he has given it.

Just an idea. Why don't we organize a freshwater stingray group that logs and classifes species of Rays and their offspring in the USA. Kinda like the "akc" of dogs but for rays. That way we can preserve bloodlines and value of stingrays in the us. Make our bloodlines and hybrids desirable in Asia and a chance for us to make some coin in this hobby.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Toohard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2014
Where ever
Don't you think that's a good thing

We wouldn't buy a shirt that looks rubbish and doesn't fit just because it's a designer brand

All this Ray snobbery is crazy

Couldnt agree more T1!

Its not a fashion show. Yes the pure blood will always be around and so will the hybrids. There is nothing wrong with that. If you like it, buy it.

There are so many diff options with hybrids that there is something for everyone. Me, i like both pure and hybrid. Its just gotta be the right one.

These two hit the spectrum on both ends for me. Nice brown based hybrid as well as a black one.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417191918.665608.jpg
View attachment 1049426

But i still love some good ol pure marbles as well.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417192180.709943.jpg

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I used to be a p14 purest but now feel p14xbd are a better option

I still like my p14 and always will I just feel you can get a better looking Ray by putting something in the mix

Pure blood Ray keepers always go on about limited gene pool but by mixing types of rays that gene pool is opened right up

The 2 hybrids I have are ok not the greatest on the planet but I'm looking past that and what pups will look like if I breed them with a male p14 or bd which is why I say Asia is well ahead of the game

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Guess I am different, my rays never bore me. Doesnt matter how long I have them. I choose what appeals to me. Honestly I can't fathom getting bored with any pet, if I did I wouldn't keep them. Why keep them if you are eventually going to get bored with them? Thats why I got out of reptiles.

You see enough of that mentality in this hobby, thats why so many hobbyist sell so often!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Guess I am different, my rays never bore me. Doesnt matter how long I have them. I choose what appeals to me. Honestly I can't fathom getting bored with any pet, if I did I wouldn't keep them. Why keep them if you are eventually going to get bored with them? Thats why I got out of reptiles.

You see enough of that mentality in this hobby, thats why so many hobbyist sell so often!
I totally agree my big female p14 are rays I bred myself
They are not the best p14 around but they are my baby's so will never get bored of them and will never sell them to get something better

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I personally have nothing against a hybrid at all. I don't have any interest in having a fashion show in regards to the name. I just have an interest in not destroying a pure ray and only have the hobby consumed by hybrids because what happens if something were to happen to a natural population? We as a hobby are the only ones who could save it and bring it back or even just have pure rays. Imo sometimes simple is better I just like to know how I got to where I have with my hybrids so I know what's in the mix not just mixing rays with other rays that I know nothing about. Like I said I absolutely love hybrids and will make them myself, I just don't want to see us stray away and ruin something that is naturally beautiful and simple. Crazy rays with crazy rays look a little excessive to me they need something simple to really glorify how off the wall they truly are. This is just my personal opinion. I just love all rays it's just an interesting topic to explore and find people's opinions on!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store