DRIP SYSTEMS Success & Failures

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
I like to think the water going to my fish is free. Let me explain. I trickle maybe a gallon an hour into each of my 4 big tanks. That water overflows into my sump and I have a PVC elbo coming out the side of my sumps that the one gallon an hour overflows onto a drain. So yes 1X24X7 = 168 gallons per week X 4 fish tanks. Yes that cost $$$$ I send that water outside to my trees and bushes. I was going to water the trees and bushes anyway. Now I just water my fish and tell myself its free :)
Hahahaha. I hear ya thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I don't filter my tap water. I drip pure unfilter tap water directly into my tank, the same stuff I drink. 7 years now no issues. Weird I know....
+1 I run all my systems the same way without any issues, maybe it's an AZ thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Wait, No carbon, no dechlor no nothing? Arnt you worried about chlorine?

How the heck does that work?? So when changing my water (manually) why do I need to use prime/safe? Is it because its a bigger change vs slowly dripping water?

Do you guys have better water than vegas in az? I cant see how lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I also don't do nothing to my water, just dump it in, I have heard that Vegas has bad water, get a TDS meter and check though for yourself. I just remember years ago asking a friend here if he used prime in his tanks, he looked at me confused and asked what is prime. Ever since then I have never purchased another bottle. That was normal water changes, now with the drip nothing has changed but freedom from the hose and buckets and hassle.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I also don't do nothing to my water, just dump it in, I have heard that Vegas has bad water, get a TDS meter and check though for yourself. I just remember years ago asking a friend here if he used prime in his tanks, he looked at me confused and asked what is prime. Ever since then I have never purchased another bottle. That was normal water changes, now with the drip nothing has changed but freedom from the hose and buckets and hassle.
I'm sure vegas water is bad, but cant be that much worse than AZ?

I looked up our water supply and they do add chlorine.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Wait, No carbon, no dechlor no nothing? Arnt you worried about chlorine?

How the heck does that work?? So when changing my water (manually) why do I need to use prime/safe? Is it because its a bigger change vs slowly dripping water?

Do you guys have better water than vegas in az? I cant see how lol

Just try it with some goldfish or something. Spend you money else ware, prime is a waste of $$$
The solution to pollution is dilution.
Trickling in one gallon of water over an hour really is nothing. Use cold water. Cold water dissolves less minerals and holds more gasses. When that cold water hits the warm aquarium water the gasses (Chlorine) escape almost immediately with the temp change.
Another benefit is the slow trickle is very low stress on the fish. Large (10% or more) water changes with a hose poking around in the tank scares the fish and may cause a panic run into the side of the tank killing one of your prize fish.
This is the #1 best upgrade to my fish hobby. Use a filter if your struggling with the dilution concept but, for sure, set up a trickle. I never F with a bucket or hose any more. The fish water goes out to my yard, bushes are real green. Anyway I can go on and on lol trust me, set up a trickle, you will love it!

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
Just try it with some goldfish or something. Spend you money else ware, prime is a waste of $$$
The solution to pollution is dilution.
Trickling in one gallon of water over an hour really is nothing. Use cold water. Cold water dissolves less minerals and holds more gasses. When that cold water hits the warm aquarium water the gasses (Chlorine) escape almost immediately with the temp change.
Another benefit is the slow trickle is very low stress on the fish. Large (10% or more) water changes with a hose poking around in the tank scares the fish and may cause a panic run into the side of the tank killing one of your prize fish.
This is the #1 best upgrade to my fish hobby. Use a filter if your struggling with the dilution concept but, for sure, set up a trickle. I never F with a bucket or hose any more. The fish water goes out to my yard, bushes are real green. Anyway I can go on and on lol trust me, set up a trickle, you will love it!
Thanks for your response. Ive been wanting to set one up.

rengb6

Feeder Fish
Aug 1, 2014
Maryland
Hello everyone. I'm putting a 115 gallon discus tank in my basement and have decided to set up a drip system to change about 5 gallons daily. I plan to use a sump as they have proved to be very convenient on my reef tanks. Any feedback on my plan would be much appreciated. Holes will be drilled into the back of the tank for a cleaner look, rather than having an overflow box and the return plumbing hanging on the side of the tank.
image.jpg In red is the plumbing leading to and from my sump and the yellow would be the drip system. I'll also be drilling a hole in my sump to prevent possible flooding if the electricity goes out during hurricane season.

image.jpg

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Hello everyone. I'm putting a 115 gallon discus tank in my basement and have decided to set up a drip system to change about 5 gallons daily. I plan to use a sump as they have proved to be very convenient on my reef tanks. Any feedback on my plan would be much appreciated. Holes will be drilled into the back of the tank for a cleaner look, rather than having an overflow box and the return plumbing hanging on the side of the tank.
View attachment 1028885 In red is the plumbing leading to and from my sump and the yellow would be the drip system. I'll also be drilling a hole in my sump to prevent possible flooding if the electricity goes out during hurricane season.
The biggest issue I see here is the drain - why is there 2? If you have one located in the sump that's all you need. If the power goes out, no water will be pumping to the tank so you won't need a drain there. My system is basically set up like yours without the tank drain and works great.

rengb6

Feeder Fish
Aug 1, 2014
Maryland
The biggest issue I see here is the drain - why is there 2? If you have one located in the sump that's all you need. If the power goes out, no water will be pumping to the tank so you won't need a drain there. My system is basically set up like yours without the tank drain and works great.
Thanks for your response! I have no idea why I added two drains. Having just the one in the sump, as you suggested, makes much more sense. In your system do you drip the freshwater into the display tank or into the sump? It occurred to me that I could drip the new water into the sump so that it would pass over the heater and through the carbon media to warm and filter the new water before it's added to the main tank.

Also, do you use the drip system as your only method of water changing? I have read that it is less effective than traditional water changing methods (ie remove then refill).

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I drip into the main tank but I don't think it matters too much. I feel like the clean water should mix into the tank rather than into the sump where the drain is.

It's the only water change method I use. I like the stability in the tank w the drip.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store