Need help choosing...

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
You could bUT a breeder pair of Nanoluteus is truly a beautiful sight and they are near endangered in the wild. You can keep them with medium sized live bearers, some plants, and small catfish to round out your whole tank.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I second Nannoluteus! They are very charming, and perfect in that kind of tank. Also Rainbow cichlids are really great, and would do well in that size tank too. If you do FM, I'd only do one cichlid in there. They like chasing other cichlids, though they are gorgeous.

matt_zak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Since the Firemouth can get aggressive. What about a Yellow Acara (Aequidens metae) and an Elliotis Cichlid (Thorichthys Maculippinis). From my reading they both seem to be a less aggressive than their cousins.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Since the Firemouth can get aggressive. What about a Yellow Acara (Aequidens metae) and an Elliotis Cichlid (Thorichthys Maculippinis). From my reading they both seem to be a less aggressive than their cousins.
Ellioti can get quite aggressive

matt_zak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Ellioti can get quite aggressive
Can they be as bad as a Firemouth? The guys at my LFS don't have any experience with the Ellioti's or Nannoluteus. They can get them if that's what I decide on though. Same with a Yellow Acara.

Would a Pictus catfish be ok as a the loan bottom feeder or should I do a pleco also?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Nannos are not aggressive at all compared Ellotis. I have heard that the Ellotis are more aggressive than Firemouth actually. I think Yellow Acaras get quite large, like ~10inches and can also play a bit rough. They are beautiful though.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Nannos are not aggressive at all compared Ellotis. I have heard that the Ellotis are more aggressive than Firemouth actually. I think Yellow Acaras get quite large, like ~10inches and can also play a bit rough. They are beautiful though.
I thought yellow acaras got about 4-5 inches

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I had the same tank for a little while but hated the brace they had in the center. I had an AC110 I wanted to use on it but would not fit because of the stupid brace so I had an AC70 and Penguin 200 on it instead. I eventually got rid of the Penguin and did an Eheim 2217. So a very similar set up. I used it as a growout because I just couldnt find the right fish for it. I ended up selling it and now a few years later I have a 40B which is a 36 x 18 footprint that I use to house a hairy puffer. I wish I would have just kept the 56g column! But at least with the 40B there is no center brace so I can use the AC110 on it. I know it is pushing the limits but you might also be able to do a solo male salvini in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store