Agressive Pacu

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
I was able to get 3 Pangasius cats yesterday(14-17 inchers), along with an another Pacu(25 inches). all went well, I thought, but Frank the Original Pacu started to try and Bite the heads of the catfish, not just tail nipping . I put a barrier in the tank for now. I see these species together all the time and they were with other pacu (Jessi). He(Jessi) doesn't seem to mind them at. Has any one had this problem with Pacus?

I have put up an acrylic barrier , but it wont stop anything that is determined. I have another 500 gallon but It is not even close to being set up. I cant get it in the house yet,

Do you think after a few days Frank will stop trying to bite them. How should I go introducing them to keep this from a happening. I have had small fish end up missing in Frank's tank, But I have never had him start attacking such big fish.

And what's wierd is he won't mess with the shark cat. Or any of the other fish.

Thanks for for any help given.

PacuOwner

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
This is unusual but I've slowly and painfully come to expect anything from pacu. I am surprised your channel is ok with your pacu - my pacu have been biting off fins and barbels off my channels, consistenty throughout different ponds and years.

May try to get the aggressor out for a "time out", e.g. an hour or two and then reintroduce it and observe closely. IDS are shy, timid fish and pacu may do whatever they want with them in such a small tank (relative to the fish's sizes). In larger ponds, 4000-20,000 gal I've had no problems cohabiting 1.5'-2' pacu and 1.5'-2.5' IDS.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
My advice to you is to keep them well fed and just let them be, some fish will just bully others for a period of time (usually short) to determine their little hierarchy in the tank. You can lose fish but that's part of owning larger fish that are capable of actually killing.

If they get along good if not you might have to take the aggressor out if it gets too bad and try to reintroduce him after the victim "claims" some territory building up some confidence so he doesnt get the ***** beat outta him all the time.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Pacu's are aggressive with all fish except maybe fish bigger then them but not always the case. There is nothing mellow about a pacu as they kill fish,bite tail streamers and fins. Many a fish has met it's demise from a PACU.

Pacuowner

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
After a couple days of having the Barrier up, I took it out and have not had any new problems. I have been keeping everyone well fed, just in case.

PacuOwner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store