New baby Jags

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
also for the grow tank, let it get algae ridden for small fry, this does not mean a dirty tank. the fry will nibble on it, we talking 6 week to 18 week old fry, its good stuff for them between feeding that should be done 3 times a day.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
With temp I would have it higher to get em to grow quick it will be inevitable you will lose 1 or 2 but wish you all the best keep us posted. Jags are by far the best cichlid q

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
UPDATE

Been 16 days now and all 10 are still alive and doing well, maybe with the exception of 2 that are noticeably weaker than the other 8. Been feeding crushed up Omega 1 cichlid flakes, .5mm NLS Grow formula, and .5mm Southern Delight nano krill. Also, 2 to 3 40-60% water changes each week along with the 2 biowheel 350s have been keeping the water quality where it needs to be. Besides the 2 weak ones that are growing at a slower rate than the rest, there's a couple that seem to be growing a little faster than the rest and the other 6 seem to be growing at a similar/steady rate. Took others advice and added a lot more fake plants of different sizes to help reduce the aggression on the smaller ones, as seen below

uploadfromtaptalk1397890754703.jpg

Here's the biggest/most dominant fish of the group so far

uploadfromtaptalk1397890807323.jpg

And my 10" male jag waiting patiently for me to grow out his future ex wife

uploadfromtaptalk1397890900065.jpg

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nice looking male:headbang2

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
looks like they are growing well...just wondering...is your grow out tank near your male jags tank?...I know it might sound strange but I believe fish interact/influence one another even when in separate tanks when they have a visual...when my female was in my 75 which is next to my males 120 he stayed on the end closest to her... and I think it is possible that his presence is influencing the growth /sex of my grow outs currently in my 75....but for sure I have had skittish behavior and food begging copied in the tanks next to each other...just a thought.....

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
looks like they are growing well...just wondering...is your grow out tank near your male jags tank?...I know it might sound strange but I believe fish interact/influence one another even when in separate tanks when they have a visual...when my female was in my 75 which is next to my males 120 he stayed on the end closest to her... and I think it is possible that his presence is influencing the growth /sex of my grow outs currently in my 75....but for sure I have had skittish behavior and food begging copied in the tanks next to each other...just a thought.....
The tanks are facing each other on opposite walls of the same room, about 10 feet apart. I know they're all very aware of me when I enter the room but not sure how aware they are of each other. I've been meaning to ask you a question about your 75g grow out... Do you have a lot of hiding spots for them or is it pretty bare? I've noticed on YouTube that it seems like a lot of people don't have very many hiding spots and it seems like they have success doing it that way. If anyone else wants to let me know how they've got their grow out tanks decorated and set up, feel free to chime in here as I'm curious to see what works for everyone else.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Before my pair spawned I had several spots foe the female to hide, driftwood and fake plants to break line of sight, once they spawned I removed the plants and they toppled the driftwood, once the fry are removed I will rescape the tank back to normal.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Not too big of a deal but I did lose my 1st one tonight. Did a water change earlier this evening and about an hour after I had finished that, I noticed the smallest 1 was stuck to the back of 1 of my biowheel 350s. I went to peel him off there and he actually swam away slowly. Divided a very small section of the tank to see how he was doing but the damage from the filter and his slightly larger siblings before that was a little too much IMO. I believe he got sucked on to the filter while trying to hide from the others in the 1st place, didn't want to lose any but figured it was bound to happen. Fed it to my male jag who disposed of it rather quickly. So 9 left, still hoping 3 of them turn out to be females... I thought I added more than enough hiding spots/fake plants for them but may need to add more to give the smaller ones more places to hide, since they'll be the ones that'll more than likely end up being the females that I need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store