Need To Calm My Cutteris

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a pair of C. cutteri in my 75 gallon with 6 giant danios, 1 striped raphael catfish, and 1 Gibbiceps Pleco. They're really awesome, intelligent fish and I want to keep them but I have a problem with them. They keep stealing the algae wafer and shrimp pellets I give my raph and pleco even though I feed the cichlid plenty well and give them their own algae wafer. It's like this every night and I don't know how to get them to stop! I'd set up a tank just for them but I'm tight on space right now and don't have room for a big enough tank, unless a 20 tall would work since I do have just enough space for one of those. So what could I do to make the cichlids stop stealing food from my catfish? If I can't make them stop I'm just going to have to give them to a friend.

Done45

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
United States
Not sure if you have tried already but I would feed the cutteris on 1 side of the tank while you drop the catfish their sink in pellets on the other side while you are still feeding your cichlids. Or just feed them at night when all the lights go off

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
My greedy cichlids do the same. I find that I have to feed at night when the lights go out for the pleco and bichir to get food. I try and do a mix of different sized floating and sinking pellets so that all the fish have a chance to eat but the bottom feeders will still always miss out during the day feedings.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
You really can't stop them just feed enough so everybody gets some or feed exclusively after dark so the cats can have a advantage and be a little more active

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure if you have tried already but I would feed the cutteris on 1 side of the tank while you drop the catfish their sink in pellets on the other side while you are still feeding your cichlids. Or just feed them at night when all the lights go off
Tried both of those.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Even feeding the cats after dark the problem is that my pleco takes forever to eat algae wafers and he actually drifts around the tank while he's sucking on them.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I was dealing with the same thing in one of the 40 breeders, I had 4 gymnogeophagus rhabdotus "lunariejo", 8 xiphophorus montizumae, and my breeding pair of ancistrus sp. "huacamayo". The huacamoyos are a very shy ancistrus and the big lunarejos kept stealing their algae wafers. The little dwarf ancistrus started to get very skinny so I moved them into a 10 gallon with a pair of chapalichthys encaustus and they are doing much better. I think the best thing to do is move the cutteri.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, since I don't have room for a tank I guess I'll get rid of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store