Quick Pics of Updated Stingray Pond

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome pond.Everytime I see an indoor pond I think of getting rid if a tank in irder to make space for a pond project.

marineman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It is a lot of work and the food bill is getting crazy!!
These things eat like beasts, warm temp, clean water and still no pups? What am I missing in the equation?
Do you think the footprint is too big and the females get away?
The males have too many options?
I really hope not but do you think the arowanas could possibly be eating the pups before they're ever seen?
If that is the case I may need to find the arowanas a new home although they seem to be a pair (they're inseperable and have perfect fins/scales) and seem to be looking to spawn- but with the rays and the few other fish I think theyre unable to pick up eggs fast enough. After a water change and the arowanas start doing their dance all the fish follow them back and forth constantly almost as if they're waiting for them to drop eggs?
I guess its time for a cam to really see whats going on in there!!

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It is a lot of work and the food bill is getting crazy!!
These things eat like beasts, warm temp, clean water and still no pups? What am I missing in the equation?
Do you think the footprint is too big and the females get away?
The males have too many options?
I really hope not but do you think the arowanas could possibly be eating the pups before they're ever seen?
If that is the case I may need to find the arowanas a new home although they seem to be a pair (they're inseperable and have perfect fins/scales) and seem to be looking to spawn- but with the rays and the few other fish I think theyre unable to pick up eggs fast enough. After a water change and the arowanas start doing their dance all the fish follow them back and forth constantly almost as if they're waiting for them to drop eggs?
I guess its time for a cam to really see whats going on in there!!
I'm not an expert but have had a few successful litters... so I'll give it a go on your questions

No, the footprint isn't too big. If they can successfully mate in the wild, your tank could never be too big. A dedicated male will find a way just like us humans ;)

I doubt the males have too many options, refer to above comment

I also doubt very highly pups would be eaten by the arowanas. They should be coming out at least 4", and there should be several, my first litter was three, so you would notice them being super fat if they were able to eat the pups. You would also notice a pregnant female, they get huge. It may be a little harder in a pond where you're only looking down, but I still think you would notice.

How old are your rays, are you sure they're mature and how long have they been together? My pair was together over a year before any mating. Also wondering how deep your pond is as that can affect mating.

Other than that, just a waiting game.

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
That is a sick setup, has to be one of my favorites on here! Good luck with the breeding, it's never as quick as you want it to be!

marineman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
New Jersey
The rays vary in age. Largest female marble is approximately 18" and been in system for 6 years. Most others anywhere from 2-6 months-5+ years. With the ones coming in the last 2-6 months months ago being almost the second biggest female 14"+ smaller female that was said to have dropped some stillborn at the holding facility and was still showing movement inside and a small male with fully rolled claspers.
all males seem pretty rolled and have for quite some time except the king.
so maturity may not be the problem.
I hope the silvers aren't bothering them but I have seen a couple good sized severums i put in get taken out by them yet they have left a red severum nearly the same size alone for over 6 months and counting.
The arowanas are always fat and always starving- so its hard to say i would notice if they ate a pup without seeing it actually happen.
thanks for everyones input.
new videos to come!

marineman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
New Jersey
First video was taken sideways... Just turn your head lol

[video=youtube;XmCRgLu3Qls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmCRgLu3Qls&feature=youtu.be[/video]

marineman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
New Jersey
This next one is at least right side up. :)

[video=youtube;E4TBK98pgNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4TBK98pgNI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store